ViaVan is looking for an exceptionally smart and motivated non-lawyer to join its legal team as we look to rapidly grow our business in Europe and continue to launch new cities around the world.
As Legal Operations Associate, you will be a critical early member of our dynamic and growing Legal team headquartered in Europe. Reporting to the Head of Legal for ViaVan, you will focus on legal operations working closely with lawyers in London and Berlin as well as with Via’s legal team in New York. This is a unique opportunity for someone potentially interested in a legal career down the line to gain hands-on exposure to all aspects of in-house legal work at a fast-growing startup.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Prepare, review, and mark up contracts (e.g. NDAs, SaaS licenses, vendor contracts, engagement letters) and maintain the company’s forms and guideline documents.
- Procure and renew a variety of operational licenses in a multitude of jurisdictions.
- Develop working knowledge of internal databases and systems in order to pull and extract insights from data in making business decisions.
- Conduct legal research and review/apply industry laws, including relevant transportation network services, gig economy, insurance, open source data, and data privacy laws.
- Support ViaVan’s internal compliance and corporate governance.
- Respond to regulatory and law enforcement requests.
- Develop and implement ways of improving the efficiency of the legal team through the implementation and management of ticketing systems, document management and filing systems, and KPI tracking.
- Manage and maintain the company’s contract database.
- Manage inflow of a variety of legal requests from other teams at Via and coordinate legal team workflow.
- Ensure and track compliance with GDPR and other data privacy laws through oversight of Data Protection Agreements with vendors.
- Provide administrative support and assist with special projects, as needed.
- Meticulous and vigilant, with a keen attention to detail.
- Willing to wear multiple hats and work on projects of all types, big and small.
- High-energy and enjoy working autonomously.
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Structured and organized, but able to thrive in a dynamic environment.
- Interested in the changing regulatory landscape of the on-demand transportation industry.
- Excited by start-up culture, workspace, and development.
- A positive can-do attitude, good judgment, and the ability to effectively manage competing priorities.
- Strong organizational and communication skills and an eagerness to help others.
- Graduate from a top-tier university (law is not essential)
- 1-2 years professional work (or work-study) experience (preferably with startups) preferred but not required. An analytical mindset is necessary, although prior legal experience is not.
- Experience with tools and applications, including G Suite, Microsoft Office, and Dropbox.
At ViaVan, we're on the cutting edge of mobility. A joint venture between Via, the world's leading developer and provider of on-demand mass transit technology, and Daimler (Mercedes-Benz), the world's preeminent automotive company, ViaVan is transforming the way people get around. From on-demand buses in London to the world's largest publicly operated electric shuttle fleet in Berlin, ViaVan's sophisticated mobility operating system is powering transportation in Europe's biggest cities and is sought after by prominent transportation players across the continent. We've provided more than 6 million shared rides since our launch in 2017, and we're growing at an astonishing rate. We have offices in London, Berlin, and Amsterdam, projects in over a dozen markets, and a goal of hundreds of deployments within the next two years. If you're someone who relishes wearing multiple hats, is passionate about building the next generation of mobility technology, and never backs down from a challenge, we want to hear from you!
ViaVan offers above market compensation packages and benefits. ViaVan is an equal opportunity employer.