ViaVan is looking for an exceptional German language speaking, EU-qualified lawyer to join us as we look to rapidly grow our business in Europe and prepare to launch new cities around the world. As European Legal Counsel, you will be the second full-time lawyer to join our dynamic and growing Legal team headquartered in Europe, and the first to focus specifically on complex new commercial contracts with our public and private sector partners. You will also be working on ViaVan’s consumer-based service in Berlin – Berlkönig, operated in partnership with the BVG. You will report to the Head of Legal for ViaVan and will work closely with the New York-based Via legal team, gaining hands-on exposure to all aspects of in-house legal work at a fast-growing startup.
Responsibilities and Duties
- As a legal contact for our Partnerships team in Europe, you will manage multiple partnerships and support colleagues across the E.U., with sound business and legal judgment and a clear sense of company priorities.
- Draft, review and negotiate a fast-growing pipeline of complex SaaS (Software as a Service)/TaaS (Transportation as a Service) contracts with a wide variety of public and private sector customers.
- Manage contractual relationships with vendors.
- Ensure and track compliance with GDPR and other data privacy laws through oversight of Data Protection Agreements with vendors.
- Respond to inquiries on contract interpretation and compliance for ViaVan operating cities.
- Find the right solutions for our partner to operate an on-demand transit service in a complex regulatory environment.
- Support the ongoing regulatory redesign of the German passenger law. (“Personenbeförderungsgesetz”) as well as other European regulatory initiatives
- Work on various contractual matters with city General Managers, cross-disciplinary teams from Finance, Business Development, Operations, Growth and Communications, and advise on relevant legal issues and risks, complex agreement structures, approval processes, and company policies and procedures.
- Provide general legal support to our business across the EU on an as-needed basis.
- Fully fluent reading/writing/speaking/contract drafting capabilities in English and German required, other European languages a plus.
- Meticulous and vigilant, with a keen attention to detail
- Willing to wear multiple hats and work on contracts of all types
- High-energy and enjoy working autonomously
- Outstanding contract drafter and negotiator in multiple languages
- Business-minded (you will negotiate business as well as legal issues)
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills
- Interested in the changing regulatory landscape of the on-demand transportation industry
- Excited by start-up culture, workspace, and development
- Fully qualified lawyer in an EU jurisdiction (Germany preferred), 5+ years experience at a top law firm, in-house legal department or a combination of the two, including significant transactional experience working on deals under European law.
- Experience with startups is a bonus but not required
- Substantive expertise in corporate and tech transactions preferred.
- Berlin location is preferred, London or Amsterdam will be considered as alternative locations.
At ViaVan, we're on the cutting edge of mobility. A joint venture between Via, the world's leading developer and provider of on-demand mass transit technology, and Daimler (Mercedes-Benz), the world's preeminent automotive company, ViaVan is transforming the way people get around. From on-demand buses in London to the world's largest publicly operated electric shuttle fleet in Berlin, ViaVan's sophisticated mobility operating system is powering transportation in Europe's biggest cities and is sought after by prominent transportation players across the continent. We've provided more than 6 million shared rides since our launch in 2017, and we're growing at an astonishing rate. We have offices in London, Berlin, and Amsterdam, projects in over a dozen markets, and a goal of hundreds of deployments within the next two years. If you're someone who relishes wearing multiple hats, is passionate about building the next generation of mobility technology, and never backs down from a challenge, we want to hear from you!
ViaVan offers above market compensation packages and benefits. ViaVan is an equal opportunity employer.