Via is re-engineering public transit, from a regulated system of rigid routes and schedules to a fully dynamic, on-demand network. Via’s mobile app connects multiple passengers who are headed the same way, allowing riders to seamlessly share a dynamically-routed vehicle. First launched in New York City in September 2013, the Via platform operates in New York City, Chicago, and Washington DC, and in London and Amsterdam through ViaVan, its joint venture with Mercedes-Benz Vans. Via also licenses its revolutionary on-demand transit technology to transportation players globally.
Via is looking for an exceptionally smart and motivated non-lawyer to join its legal team as we look to rapidly grow our business domestically and internationally and prepare to launch new cities around the world. This is a unique opportunity for someone potentially interested in a legal career down the line to get hands-on exposure to all aspects of legal work at a fast-growing startup.
As Legal Operations Associate, you will be the second person joining our growing Legal Operations team, working closely with a small team of highly dedicated and dynamic lawyers who are graduates of the country’s top law schools and alums of elite law firms. You will be fully integrated into the legal team, and your experience will be much more substantive and varied than it likely would be as a paralegal at a large law firm.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Prepare, review and mark up contracts, e.g. NDAs, SaaS licenses, vendor contracts, engagement letters, etc., and maintain the company’s forms and guideline documents.
- Develop working knowledge of internal databases and systems in order to pull and extract insights from data in making business decisions.
- Constantly help the legal team become more organized and efficient, through the implementation and management of ticketing systems, document management and filing systems, KPIs tracking, etc.
- Manage and maintain the company’s contract database.
- Ensure and track compliance with GDPR and other data privacy laws through oversight of Data Protection Agreements with vendors.
- Provide administrative support and assist with special projects, as assigned.
- Implement the company’s billing guidelines and coordinate with outside counsel.
- Meticulous and vigilant, with a keen attention to detail.
- Willing to wear multiple hats and work on projects of all types, big and small.
- High-energy and enjoy working autonomously.
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Interested in the changing regulatory landscape of the on-demand transportation industry.
- Excited by start-up culture, workspace, and development.
- A positive can-do attitude, good judgment, and the ability to effectively manage competing priorities.
- Strong organizational and communication skills and an eagerness to help others.
- 4-year degree from a top-tier university - this is a non-attorney role, though recent college graduates interested in attending law school in the future are encouraged to apply.
- 1-2 years professional work (or work-study) experience (preferably with startups) preferred but not required. An analytical mindset is necessary, although prior legal experience is not.
- Experience with analytical tools such as Tableau is a plus.
Via offers above market compensation packages and benefits, including equity, health insurance, and relocation assistance.
Via is an equal opportunity employer.