At Via, we're on the cutting edge of mobility. We’re building revolutionary technology that’s changing the way people get around. It's on-demand transit on a mass scale, a smarter transportation that’s friendly to our planet. From on-demand autonomous shuttles in Australia to dynamically routed bus fleets in Singapore, our sophisticated operating system is powering transportation in the world’s biggest cities and is sought after by prominent transportation players globally. We’ve provided more than 50 million shared rides already, and we’re growing at an astonishing rate. We have offices in more than 15 countries, projects in more than 50 markets, and a goal of 200 deployments by the end of 2019. If you’re someone who relishes wearing multiple hats, never backs down from a challenge, and loves getting things done, we’d love to hear from you!
Via is looking for an exceptionally smart and motivated non-lawyer to join its legal team as we look to rapidly grow our business domestically and internationally and continue to launch new cities around the world.
As a Legal Operations Associate on the Regulatory and Compliance team, you will be working closely with a small team of highly dedicated and dynamic lawyers who are graduates of the country’s top law schools and alums of elite law firms. You will gain hands-on exposure to all aspects of in-house legal work at a fast-growing startup. This role reports to the Head of Litigation and Regulatory Counsel.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Manage the end-to-end process for background checks of independent contractor driver partners, including first line review, escalations and adverse action processes.
- Leverage information provided through third party background check provider’s portal to review and update policies and procedures to ensure compliance with requirements under the law.
- Develop training materials for operations teams in various jurisdictions regarding local regulatory requirements.
- Correspond with regulatory agencies, lobbyists, outside legal counsel, and internal stakeholders regarding various compliance matters.
- Monitor and respond to subpoenas and requests for information from third parties and regulators.
- Develop working knowledge of internal databases and systems in order to pull and extract insights from data in making decisions in a wide variety of contexts.
- Oversee compliance audits and coordinate related activities across organization.
- Manage insurance claims, corresponding with insurance carriers and brokers as needed.
- Provide legal team operational support and assist with special projects, as assigned.
- Meticulous and vigilant, with a keen attention to detail.
- Willing to wear multiple hats and work on projects of all types, big and small.
- High-energy and enjoy working autonomously.
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Interested in the changing regulatory landscape of the on-demand transportation industry.
- Excited by start-up culture, workspace, and development.
- A positive can-do attitude, good judgment, and the ability to effectively manage competing priorities.
- Strong organizational and communication skills and an eagerness to help others.
- 4-year degree from a top-tier university - this is a non-attorney role, though we would consider a recent college graduate interested in attending law school in the future.
- 1-3 years professional work (or work-study) experience. Experience with startups is a bonus but not required. An analytical mindset is necessary, although prior legal experience is not.
- Experience with analytical tools such as Tableau is a plus.
Via offers above market compensation packages and benefits, including equity, health insurance, and relocation assistance.
Via is an equal opportunity employer.