Via is re-engineering public transit, from a regulated system of rigid routes and schedules to a fully dynamic, on-demand network. Via’s mobile app connects multiple passengers who are headed the same way, allowing riders to seamlessly share a dynamically-routed vehicle. First launched in New York City in September 2013, the Via platform operates in New York City, Chicago, and Washington DC, and in London and Amsterdam through ViaVan, its joint venture with Mercedes-Benz Vans. Via also licenses its revolutionary on-demand transit technology to transportation players globally.
Via is looking for an exceptional lawyer to join us as we look to rapidly grow our business (including our SaaS licensing business with public and private sector customers) domestically and internationally and prepare to launch new cities around the world.
As Commercial Counsel, Legal Affairs, you will be the fifth full-time lawyer to join our dynamic and growing Legal Department, and the first to focus specifically on complex revenue-generating commercial contracts. You will work closely with all members of the legal team, gaining hands-on exposure to all aspects of in-house legal work at a fast-growing startup.
Responsibilities and Duties
- As a legal contact for our Partnerships team, you will manage multiple deals and support colleagues in the U.S. and internationally, with sound business and legal judgment and a clear sense of company priorities.
- Draft, review and negotiate a fast-growing pipeline of complex SaaS (Software as a Service)/TaaS (Transportation as a Service) contracts with a wide variety of domestic and international, public and private sector customers.
- Manage contractual relationships with vendors.
- Ensure and track compliance with GDPR and other data privacy laws through oversight of Data Protection Agreements with vendors.
- Respond to inquiries on contract interpretation and compliance.
- Work on various contractual matters with cross-disciplinary teams from Finance, Business Development, Operations, Growth and Communications, and advise on relevant legal issues and risks, complex agreement structures, approval processes, and company policies and procedures.
- Provide general legal support to our global business on an as-needed basis.
- Meticulous and vigilant, with a keen attention to detail
- Willing to wear multiple hats and work on contracts of all types
- High-energy and enjoy working autonomously
- Outstanding contract drafter and negotiator
- Business-minded (you will negotiate business as well as legal issues)
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills
- Interested in the changing regulatory landscape of the on-demand transportation industry
- Excited by start-up culture, workspace, and development
- JD from a top tier law school, 1-3 years experience at a top law firm, in-house legal department or a combination of the two, including significant transactional experience.
- Experience with startups is a bonus but not required
- Substantive expertise in corporate and tech transactions preferred.
- Location is flexible among the following Via offices: New York, Chicago or Washington, D.C. in the USA or Tel Aviv, Israel.
- We are willing to consider alternative profiles or work arrangements for the right candidate. Have you pursued an alternative legal career path, taken time off along the way to pursue outside interests or non-legal roles, and are looking to return to a legal role? Are you looking for a role that may have some flexibility for remote work or part-time arrangements? Please apply!
Via offers above market compensation packages and benefits, including equity, health insurance, and relocation assistance.
Via is an equal opportunity employer.