Director, Discovery Biology
Vesalius is seeking a highly experienced and motivated biologist to lead their drug discovery efforts. The ideal candidate should have a strong background in drug discovery and be passionate about leveraging the latest advances in biology, chemistry, and computation to develop new treatments for common diseases.
The Director, Discovery Biology will be responsible for developing and executing the biology strategy for one or more drug discovery programs, as well as informing on-target mechanism of action and exploring and validating therapeutic hypotheses in preclinical animal models. Additionally, the successful candidate should be able to work collaboratively within cross-functional teams, manage external research via CRO or academic collaborations, and advance programs through preclinical development milestones.
Reporting to the SVP, Head of Drug Discovery, this position requires excellent leadership and communication skills, as well as a proven ability to manage and motivate a team towards achieving common goals. The ideal candidate should be driven, innovative, and possess a passion for advancing drug discovery and improving human health
Who are we looking for?
- A driven leader who knows how to work and contribute to an ever-changing working environment
- An individual who enjoys working in close collaboration with colleagues in the research, development, clinical, finance, and administrative areas of the company, as well as vendors, and consultants
- Demonstrate a growth mindset and willingness to embrace change and learn new thins as the needs of the organization evolves over time
What are we looking for?
- You are an energetic and passionate R&D professional who is strategic, likes to think outside of the box, challenge the norm, and is passionate about the company’s mission of discovering and developing new drugs
- You are a resourceful self-starter, take a hands on approach, and are a team player with a strong results-based orientation
- You can develop trusting relationships to gain support and achieve results at all levels of the organization
What you will do:
- You will be a critical member of the Discovery leadership team, creating and executing research strategies for multiple discovery programs with clear go-no/go decisions
- Direct, manage, develop, and empower a team of internal and external scientists in biology; outline and communicate research goals, design key studies, and analyze data
- Collaborate with translational team to identify and validate biomarkers and indication selection for clinical development
- Leverage a network of external scientific advisors and consultants to develop and execute research activities
- Overall, you will have a very hands-on role with respect to your direct contributions to our Discovery efforts, while being an outstanding leader and collaborator, a creative problem-solver, and a role model for your reports and across the organization
What you will bring:
- Ph.D. and post-doctoral fellowship in relevant field of biomedical research and 10+ years of relevant industry experience
- Strong background in biological research, with a thorough understanding of signaling pathways implicated in disease and the mechanism of action of targeted therapies
- A very high level of motivation and a proven record of accomplishment (eg, a strong publication record in top-tier journals)
- Experience leading one or more drug discovery programs from early stages through to IND, or experience at multiple stages and the clear readiness to lead efforts across all stages
- Track-record of adopting highly innovative approaches to answer complex biological questions
- Experience performing and analyzing a broad array of molecular and cell biology experiments
- Experience working extensively with external CROs to accomplish drug discovery objectives
- Excellent interpersonal skills, leadership abilities, and oral and written communication
- Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic environment as a team player with a strong work ethic, excellent communication abilities and time management skills
- Curiosity and willingness to ask questions and seek clarity
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- A track record of scientific vigor and creativity in carrying out research
What We’ll Offer You:
- Comprehensive, competitive healthcare (PPO) and dental coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield, vision coverage through VSP, family leave, three weeks’ paid time off with additional holidays, 401k retirement plan, disability and life insurance, and commuter benefits.
- A dynamic early-stage work environment and highly interdisciplinary, talented, and collaborative team.
- Participate in the development and growth of a company with enormous potential impact on human health
- Professional growth opportunities through mentoring, training, immersion in cross-functional projects, and opportunities to learn and try new things.
Who We Are:
Vesalius Therapeutics is a Flagship Pioneering platform company with a bold and critical mission to revolutionize drug development for the diseases that cause 90% of global morbidity and mortality.
The company was founded in 2019 in Flagship Labs, Flagship Pioneering’s innovation foundry. Vesalius is led by CEO Christopher Austin, M.D., Flagship Managing Partner, Doug Cole, M.D., and a leadership team with decades of experience working at some of the most renowned pharma and biotech companies in the industry.
Vesalius’s ContinuumDiscovery™ platform harnesses a combination of human clinical data and genetics, artificial intelligence and machine learning, and patient-derived experimental models into a uniquely potent discovery engine.
You can read more about our mission here.
Flagship Pioneering is a biotechnology company that invents and builds platform companies, each with the potential for multiple products that transform human health or sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, Flagship has originated and fostered more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in more than $90 billion in aggregate value. Many of the companies Flagship has founded have addressed humanity’s most urgent challenges: vaccinating billions of people against COVID-19, curing intractable diseases, improving human health, preempting illness, and feeding the world by improving the resiliency and sustainability of agriculture. Flagship has been recognized twice on FORTUNE’s “Change the World” list, an annual ranking of companies that have made a positive social and environmental impact through activities that are part of their core business strategies, and has been twice named to Fast Company’s annual list of the World’s Most Innovative Companies. Learn more about Flagship at www.flagshippioneering.com.
At Flagship, we recognize there is no perfect candidate. If you have some of the experience listed above but not all, please apply anyway. Experience comes in many forms, skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. We are dedicated to building diverse and inclusive teams and look forward to learning more about your unique background.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.