Head of Data Science
Vesalius Therapeutics is seeking a highly motivated and collaborative Head of Data Sciences to build the informatics and computational biology aspects of Vesalius Therapeutics Platform Development.
The candidate will be a key leader within Vesalius Therapeutics Platform Development team.
We are looking for an individual with a track record of establishing and executing approaches for the management and analysis of complex multi-omics datasets. The candidate should be a skilled leader, innovative, and comfortable in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Lead the assessment and implementation of analytical methods to aid target discovery. This will include human genetics, high-throughput genomics and automated image capture.
- Where appropriate, develop and implement new statistical methods to achieve key goals.
- Roll out an experimental design and statistical testing framework across functions
- Be a strong voice in the development and implementation of our target discovery platform
- Assemble and lead a team of skilled scientists to execute this mission, and collaborate across our diverse group of scientific disciplines to develop new ideas
- PhD in statistical genetics, computational biology or equivalent field, and 8-10 years of relevant experience in an industry or academic setting.
- Strong track record of method development and implementation, innovative and creative question posing and solution. Outstanding quantitative skills and demonstrated statistical intuition.
- A strong record of accomplishment in the field, including publications, patents, and presentations.
- Direct supervisory experience (5+ years) leading a team of scientists (including PhD-level scientists) and a track record of recruiting, mentoring, and developing top talent.
- Outstanding communication, collaboration, networking, and program leadership skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic environment as a team player with a strong work ethic.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic environment with a sense of urgency and creativity and focus on deliverables.
- Team player with a strong work ethic, able to work both independently and collaboratively
- Continuously learns and adapts quickly to new information
- Authentic, proactively appreciative of different points of view, backgrounds and perspectives
What We’ll Offer You:
- Comprehensive, competitive healthcare (PPO) and dental coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield, vision coverage through VSP, family leave, three weeks’ paid time off with additional holidays, 401k retirement plan, disability and life insurance, and commuter benefits.
- A dynamic early-stage work environment and highly interdisciplinary, talented, and collaborative team.
- Participate in the development and growth of a company with enormous potential impact on human health
- Professional growth opportunities through mentoring, training, immersion in cross-functional projects, and opportunities to learn and try new things.
Who We Are:
Vesalius Therapeutics is a Flagship Pioneering platform company with a bold and critical mission to revolutionize drug development for the diseases that cause 90% of global morbidity and mortality.
The company was founded in 2019 in Flagship Labs, Flagship Pioneering’s innovation foundry. Vesalius is led by CEO Christopher Austin, M.D., Flagship Managing Partner, Doug Cole, M.D., and a leadership team with decades of experience working at some of the most renowned pharma and biotech companies in the industry.
Vesalius’s ContinuumDiscovery™ platform harnesses a combination of human clinical data and genetics, artificial intelligence and machine learning, and patient-derived experimental models into a uniquely potent discovery engine.
You can read more about our mission here.
Flagship Pioneering is a biotechnology company that invents and builds platform companies, each with the potential for multiple products that transform human health or sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, Flagship has originated and fostered more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in more than $90 billion in aggregate value. Many of the companies Flagship has founded have addressed humanity’s most urgent challenges: vaccinating billions of people against COVID-19, curing intractable diseases, improving human health, preempting illness, and feeding the world by improving the resiliency and sustainability of agriculture. Flagship has been recognized twice on FORTUNE’s “Change the World” list, an annual ranking of companies that have made a positive social and environmental impact through activities that are part of their core business strategies, and has been twice named to Fast Company’s annual list of the World’s Most Innovative Companies. Learn more about Flagship at www.flagshippioneering.com.
At Flagship, we recognize there is no perfect candidate. If you have some of the experience listed above but not all, please apply anyway. Experience comes in many forms, skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. We are dedicated to building diverse and inclusive teams and look forward to learning more about your unique background.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.