Vesalius Therapeutics is seeking a highly motivated and collaborative Computational Biologist driven to leverage single-cell genomics data to reveal biological mechanisms of health and disease. The candidate will participate in the statistical design and analysis of genomic experiments (e.g. single-cell RNA-seq, ATAC-seq, CRISPR screens, etc.) in collaboration with wet-lab biologists. The role requires the ability to interpret experiments that deliver testable hypotheses that integrate clinical and biological endpoints using cutting edge methods and technologies. The candidate should have a solid foundation in applied statistics, deep generative models, computational biology, molecular biology paired with a strong work ethic and the ability to work independently and in highly matrixed teams. The candidate will leverage publicly available data and integrate with internally generated data. This is an exciting and interdisciplinary role that will collaborate with statistical geneticists, biomedical informaticists and wet-lab biologists to support the development of novel therapeutics.
What You'll Do:
- Computational analysis of large, complex, single cell genomics datasets from in vitro cellular model systems
- Deliver testable hypotheses/insights from complex high-dimensional data to inform target selection
- Linking results and insights between internal and public data, as well as orthogonal data such as human genetics.
- Identify and validate approaches to improve quality and efficiency of hypothesis generation from model systems
- Maintain awareness of emerging methods in computational biology and applications for novel omics technologies
- Provide ad-hoc bioinformatics support to cross-disciplinary project teams
- Reporting results to scientific team and management.
- Design and analyze bulk and single cell genomics datasets generated from our in vitro cellular and tissue model systems
- Deliver testable hypotheses from complex high-dimensional data to inform target selection and validation
What You'll Bring:
- PhD in Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Computer Science, Computational Biology, Genetics, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics or other related discipline
- 2-3 years post PhD experience applying quantitative approaches to solve biological problems
- Knowledge and experience of single-cell transcriptomic data and analyses; additional modalities such as histone modification data analysis considered a plus.
- Strong knowledge of applied statistics and machine learning (in particular deep generative models)
- Strong statistical and scripting programming skills (Python/R/etc.)
- Knowledge of molecular biology, neuroscience experience a plus
- Experience integrating genomic data with human genetic data (GWAS, QTL, etc.) a plus
- Demonstrated proficiency in a relevant programming language (R, Python, etc.)
- Experience developing novel models, algorithms, or software implementations a plus
- Demonstrated experience in design and interpretation of in vivo and/or in vitro biological experiments.
- Demonstrated expertise in delivering insights/hypotheses from complex high-dimensional biological data
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with biologists to communicate results and discuss follow-up experiments
- Exceptional communication skills (oral and written) as demonstrated by publications & presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic environment as a team player with a strong work ethic.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic environment with a sense of urgency and creativity and focus on deliverables.
- Team player with a strong work ethic, able to work both independently and collaboratively
- Continuously learns and adapts quickly to new information
- Authentic, proactively appreciative of different points of view, backgrounds and perspectives
What We’ll Offer You:
- Comprehensive, competitive healthcare (PPO) and dental coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield, vision coverage through VSP, family leave, three weeks’ paid time off with additional holidays, 401k retirement plan, disability and life insurance, and commuter benefits.
- A dynamic early-stage work environment and highly interdisciplinary, talented, and collaborative team.
- Participate in the development and growth of a company with enormous potential impact on human health
- Professional growth opportunities through mentoring, training, immersion in cross-functional projects, and opportunities to learn and try new things.
Who We Are:
Vesalius Therapeutics is a Flagship Pioneering platform company with a bold and critical mission to revolutionize drug development for the diseases that cause 90% of global morbidity and mortality.
The company was founded in 2019 in Flagship Labs, Flagship Pioneering’s innovation foundry. Vesalius is led by CEO Christopher Austin, M.D., Flagship Managing Partner, Doug Cole, M.D., and a leadership team with decades of experience working at some of the most renowned pharma and biotech companies in the industry.
Vesalius’s ContinuumDiscovery™ platform harnesses a combination of human clinical data and genetics, artificial intelligence and machine learning, and patient-derived experimental models into a uniquely potent discovery engine.
You can read more about our mission here.
At Flagship, we recognize there is no perfect candidate. If you have some of the experience listed above but not all, please apply anyway. Experience comes in many forms, skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. We are dedicated to building diverse and inclusive teams and look forward to learning more about your unique background.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.