At Verishop, we are re-imagining the e-commerce platform with a mission-driven approach. We’re focused on building a platform where brands can thrive that’s intuitive and delightful for the millennial shopper.
We’ve assembled a team with deep knowledge in online retail, e-commerce marketplace and online user behavior. We’re looking to add intrepid individuals who are both skilled and enthusiastic about having a role in building the technology, team, and culture from the ground up.
Engineering at Verishop
We’re a lean, fast-growing team of passionate technologists with diverse experiences and backgrounds, having worked at companies like Cadre, Dollar Shave Club, Edmunds and Tinder. We’re building a next-gen online shopping platform using cutting-edge technologies like Serverless and React. We have a cloud-native architecture, hosted fully on AWS. We practice Continuous Delivery and deploy code to production several times a day behind feature flags. We like to launch incremental chunks of features to our users, learn from what we launched and iterate based on our learnings. We believe in making data-informed, user-centric decisions. We’re fostering a culture of continuous learning and growth.
In addition to our consumer-facing platform, we also build and deploy software solutions for our internal business users to streamline their workflows. We like to build flexible capabilities that empower our internal users to self-serve and operate the business with complete visibility and minimal dependence on technologists.
Given how early-stage our company is, you would get to be part of the core team of technologists who are responsible for shaping our product direction, design, architecture and team culture. You’ll be working on greenfield projects and laying the foundations for a stack that will support our projected fast-paced business growth.
About this role:
We’re looking for a software engineer who specializes in cloud infrastructure, build systems and deployment pipelines. You’ll be using standard infrastructure tooling like Terraform & Docker and also building specialized tools that offer an outstanding Developer Experience for the rest of our Engineering team. Our ideal candidate is a highly self-motivated and proactive problem solver who can take a feature from idea to a highly scalable and flexible solution swiftly. As part of the early team, you also need to be a great verbal and written communicator.
What you’ll do:
- Architect and build a scalable, secure, fault-tolerant, highly-available and observable cloud infrastructure.
- Architect and build a flexible framework to continuously deploy software to dynamically-provisioned staging environments and ultimately promote artifacts to production.
- Collaborate with other software engineers to architect, build and optimize our developer environments.
- Architect and build our edge routing & defense layer, leveraging capabilities offered by our CDN partners.
- Define our security posture, implement access control policies & anomaly detection systems for our cloud infrastructure.
- Regularly review our architecture for security vulnerabilities.
- Capacity planning to support our traffic patterns.
- Regularly review our infrastructure for cost optimization opportunities.
- Optimize performance of production systems and build pipelines to improve scalability, uptime and response times.
- Own the end-to-end development lifecycle of code you author, from your developer machine all the way to production, including writing automated tests, monitors and alerts.
- Collaborate with engineers on architecture and code reviews.
- Mentor other junior engineers on software engineering principles and core infrastructure principles.
- Research and prototype technologies and solutions that could benefit the rest of the team.
- Document information about work you author in a clean and easy-to-consume format through well-written text, diagrams and visuals. ASCII art is optional.
- Participate in hiring panels to hire new engineers to the team and onboard new engineers.
- 6+ years experience in architecting and building cloud infrastructure for high scale web applications, with at least 3 of those years working in AWS and at least 2 of those years building web software.
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
- Advanced to expert level experience in two or more of the following: Python, GoLang, Bash, Node.js, Ruby.
- Advanced to expert level experience with Terraform or equivalent infrastructure provisioning frameworks.
- Advanced to expert level experience in Linux systems administration.
- Expert level experience in cloud-focussed network architectures.
- Experience working with the following AWS technologies or equivalents: AWS EC2, EKS / ECS / Fargate, S3, Lambda, RDS, Route 53, Kinesis, DynamoDB, SNS and Cloudwatch.
- Advanced to expert level experience with Docker and/or other container technologies.
- Experience architecting and building CI / CD pipelines.
- Experience with at least one of the following data stores: MySQL, Postgres, DynamoDB
- Experience setting up WAFs and intrusion detection systems.
- Experience working on a high-scale 24x7 production web system.
- Experience working with both monoliths and microservices and the ability to make the right tradeoff calls.
- Prior experience working on edge routing layers in Cloudflare, Fastly, Cloudfront or equivalent CDNs is a big plus.
- Prior experience with orchestration systems like Kubernetes is a big plus.
- Prior experience with stream processing systems like Kinesis or Kafka is a big plus.
- Prior experience working in a Continuous Delivery environment is a plus.
- Prior experience with Serverless technologies (specifically AWS Lambda) is a big plus.
- Prior experience working on compliance efforts like PCI / SOX compliance is a big plus.