Verikai is an insurance technology company changing the way the industry views risk with true predictive analytics. Our well-established database includes over 5,000 behavior attributes for 250+ million people in the United States and provides deep insight to these individuals’ true health risks. With this data, we help insurance companies improve underwriting precision, speed and efficiency using alternative data and machine learning – and ultimately, we provide consumers and small businesses with greater access to a broader range of insurance products.
Verikai isn’t your typical startup. And we aren’t looking for typical employees. For starters, we are a fully remote organization, meaning your home base can be your sofa, your favorite café, or a (wifi-equipped) cabin in the woods. All you need is your brain and a laptop…and we provide the laptop. We’re looking for people who want to do inspired work for a higher purpose. We are a growing and well-funded tech startup with a great product and even better ideas. If you want to make an immediate impact on the way the insurance industry operates while working in a fun, fast-paced and supportive environment, you’ve come to the right place.
About the role
We are seeking a senior developer/ software engineer that is looking to advance their career in enterprise applications and cloud-based development. We have an experienced and fast-moving executive team that is looking for people with strong intellectual curiosity, relevant, demonstrated experience, and the commitment and tenacity to keep pace in a small, start-up team. The developer will be involved in ideation, design, production, testing, and deployment – all phases of the product cycle. This person’s main responsibility is to build and maintain the platform that unleashes the power of our proprietary consumer database and machine learning on behalf of our customers. You will be working with extraordinarily large datasets, and will be tasked with developing solutions that think systemically about the development challenges in a creative, out-of-the-box way that makes our product better.
You will be the third person on our fast growing development team, and have the opportunity to be a foundational element of our success. You will be in the frontline of bringing the next wave of alternative data and ML-driven risk analysis to a highly regulated set of industries that are in need of better technology. There will be opportunities to grow both professionally and personally. Ultimately, we would love this person to help build a world-class team and stay with the company for many years to come.
This role is 100% remote within the United States
- Build and maintain the platform, as well as involvement in all phases of the product cycle.
- Working with a fast-paced team to develop, test, and maintain web-based applications using modern technologies.
- Design, develop, and unit test applications in accordance with established standards.
- Participating in peer-reviews of solution designs and related code.
- Package and support deployment of releases.
- Developing, refining, and tuning integrations between applications.
- Analyzing and resolving technical and application problems.
- Strong desire to learn in a fast-paced, technical environment
Skills and Qualifications
All candidates must have these required skills, qualifications or experiences to be considered for the role:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or a related discipline
- 5+ years hands-on professional experience as a developer using C# preferred
- Solid understanding of relational database design with MYSQL -- including concepts of stored procedures, denormalization, and other optimizations
- Strong experience across AWS including experience with LAMBDA/Node.JS
- Linux remote administration — including EC2, SSH, Screen
- Strong self-management, with the ability to comfortably identify, set and meet their own priorities
- Demonstrated experience meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment consistently, with the ability to communicate when there are blocks or challenges to deadlines
The ideal candidate will also have these strongly preferred skills, qualifications or experiences:
- Security, encryption, hashing, and privacy best practices
- Team orientation, with the ability to identify gaps and fill them proactively
- OWASP Top 10, CCPA, SOC 2, and other PII best practices
- Continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Strong communication skills, including experience in a Slack-first environment and the ability to regulate when it is needed and appropriate to ask for help vs. self-manage
- Worked in a startup environment or other fast-paced, small environment with high responsibility and/or small team
- Competitive compensation (salary and stock)
- Health, dental, and vision
- 401(k) plan
- Unlimited PTO + generous paid holidays (including Thanksgiving and winter breaks)
- Ego-free, open-door policy
- 100% remote company—you can literally work anywhere with just your laptop and an internet connection
- Employer-paid meal delivery program via GrubHub
- Customer-focused, innovative environment
- Flat organizational structure
- Team offsites, happy hours, lunch n’ learns