We’re looking for a Director of Content Marketing to join our legitimately fantastic team
Verblio is a content creation platform based in Denver, CO. We are content marketing enthusiasts with an amazing brand and platform. We’re in full-tilt growth mode with grandiose plans for world domination (the friendly kind) and show no signs of slowing down. Content is vital to modern marketing—but it’s really hard to do well and at scale (it’s hard to do great things in large quantities. That’s why wedding food is often so bad.) To help companies do that, Verblio nurtures a network of over 3,000 writers—plus a marketplace business model and an easy-to-use platform for collaboration—to allow modern digital agencies, businesses, enterprises, and publishers create great content. Our entire business is based on content creation, AND, we need help doing it for ourselves. We are looking for the right Director of Content Marketing to join our team.
About the role:
You and your team will create, promote, and measure content for:
- SEO. In partnership with our SEO team, develop blog posts, pillar pages, landing pages, data-driven content, and more that keeps the organic traffic flowing.
- The funnel.
- Lead magnets & gated content
- Case studies
- The podcast. We see the podcast as adding value in a multitude of ways. And it’s off to a strong start, one year in. Our content marketing manager serves as the show’s producer; we’re looking for someone who can support her in promoting the podcast, making it even stronger, and creating content around it.
- Maybe social media too. Ah, social media. We have mixed feelings.
On a day-to-day basis that means you will...
Define and organize content marketing strategy. Partner with the marketing team, SEO team, company leadership and sales team to set content marketing strategy based on company goals and go-to-market strategy, keep it all organized, and organize it across our various channels in a disciplined manner.
Execute. Work with a team of writers and designers, the broader marketing team, sales, leadership, and anyone else at the company and beyond that you recruit to your informal team to create awesome content. This will involve some serious project management and cat-herding skills.
Promote and measure. We’ll be honest: content promotion and amplification is not where we shine. Maybe it’s because we’ve got a lot going on. Or maybe it’s because content promotion is f&*(ing hard. Regardless of the reason, we need some help in this area, and this will be a key focus of this role.
Build outstanding stuff. With some caveats, we believe in the theory of 10x content. We also wholeheartedly agree with this quote, “The returns on writing something great are enormous; the returns on writing something average are zero.”
Do some writing and editing yourself. While writing isn’t the primary responsibility of this position, we’re looking for someone who can do some writing, and certainly some editing.
Serve as editor-in-chief and help steward the Verblio brand voice. Synthesize, be able to embody, and help us manage the voice of the Verblio brand—fun, sometimes daring, and smart.
Be an effective communicator. We are looking for clear, direct communicators. That means interpersonally and in your writing. We like being clever but clarity is paramount (claramount?).
Do all of this in a hard-working startup environment. It’s worth reiterating that we’re a scrappy startup, and there are resource constraints that come along with that. So does a huge degree of freedom in what you can create.
The Challenge: Marketing to Marketers
This role is kinda meta: you’ll lead content marketing for a content creation company that’s focused on helping other companies do content marketing. While kinda funny, it also means Verblio is in a crowded space: if we create run-of-the-mill content about content marketing, we’re competing for attention in the SERP and the mind of our prospect with companies you might’ve heard of like HubSpot, Moz, etc. So, we have to be either more thoughtful about what we target, or we have to create better content. Or, ideally, both.
Mandates and Opportunities
We need to keep leveling-up our content. What we’ve done so far in the content marketing space has allowed us to triple organic traffic over the last four years, and we believe with more resources and attention, we can accelerate our growth even further:
- There’s a lot more room to grow through inbound (content for SEO, content for the funnel).
- We’ve recently begun investing in outbound sales and marketing and need the content to make those efforts more powerful.
- A key focus for the company over the next 24 months is productizing our offerings to go after new verticals and new markets. We’ll need powerful content to support these efforts.
Meet Verblio’s Marketing Team
- 4 Full-timers:
- VP of Marketing
- Sr. Director of Product Marketing
- Content Marketing Manager
- Project Manager
- 4 very involved contractors:
- Technical digital marketer
- Marketing Automation person
- CRO person
- 3 agencies who do cool shit:
- webdev & design agency
- content marketing agency working on a project
- other project-based agencies
About Marketing at Verblio
Until recently, Verblio’s business was built almost entirely on inbound marketing. We’ve got a strong inbound funnel that’s working—it delivers 20+ new customers per week, almost like clockwork.
We’ve got some other cool things going for us too:
- A brand that is starting to turn heads in our space and a brand voice that helps our content stand out
- A 50 DA
- An awesome platform/product backed by awesome humans
- The desire and culture to experiment
Plus, we’ve got a number of vehicles for content:
- Our blog
- Our site in general
- A newish (1-year old) podcast (Yes And Marketing)
- A sizeable email list
- Our customer base
- Expo booths once that’s a thing again
This role will report to our VP of Marketing and be part of the marketing team. Content marketing will be your main gig, and there are other areas of marketing that have lots of opportunity. This position will also influence the core product. For example, you'll take your best practices and help turn them into our platform offerings. You'll make our core product better through your understanding of content marketing and act as the tip of the spear in testing out what we should build next.
This role is not a 9-5 because the traditional 9-5 is dead. We are somewhere in between “Put in the bare minimum to collect your paycheck” and “Glued to your phone and pissed off if colleagues don’t answer slack messages at 12am.” We work hard, and we have a lot to do, and we get it done.
What you will need to be successful in this role:
- 5+ years of content marketing experience, experience in other digital marketing disciplines a plus
- Experience with, and passion for, people/team management. Content marketing is a team sport, particularly at Verblio.
- A deep understanding of and borderline obsession with content marketing
- At least a solid understanding of SEO fundamentals.
- If words like content refresh/revamp, domain authority, content promotion, people also ask, and SEO optimization are not part of your vocabulary, this isn’t the right role for you.
- If your main source of content about content marketing is the HubSpot blog or someone with the initials NP, this isn’t the role for you.
- Key content marketing skills: research, incorporation of design elements, selection of content types, content promotion & amplification, etc (etc).
- Effective project management skills
- Willingness to do what it takes to effectively promote content in our space—get out there (virtually), make connections, pitch, etc.
- Content writing and copywriting skills
- Ability to do all of this in a startup environment
- At least some analytical skills. We believe that (most) content should be measured. We’ve got analytical wizardry on staff, but GA basics, Search Console basics, an SEO tool or two and interpretation of data, plus the desire to track what we’re putting out is important
- Bonus points for social media experience (particularly LinkedIn).
- Double bonus points for experience at a digital marketing agency.
- Cool or unexpected skills we haven’t mentioned? Let’s hear them.
Why you’ll love working at Verblio:
- Competitive salary and stock options.
- Stylish sock options
- Health, dental & vision insurance with a generous monthly company contribution
- Flexible paid time off and holidays.
- Pandemic Last Fridays Off
- Truly awesome team of people - we don’t have needless meetings, don’t tolerate egos, and genuinely like each other. It’s awesome.
- Verblio has a vibrant company culture. We’re smart, welcoming, creative, and engaged in our jobs. We have a low turnover rate because people love working here. We’re looking for someone that wants to be a part of that.
- Did we mention we’re growing like mad? It’s way more fun to be on a rocketship than riding in circles on a model train set. (No disrespect to model train enthusiasts.) We made the Inc 5000 list for the second year in a row, won our sixth Mercury 100 award as one of the fastest-growing companies in the Boulder Valley, and just made the Colorado Companies to Watch list.
- Some day when we can safely co-locate again, we’ve got in-person perks like free food & drink, fun events, a hip centrally-located Denver office, a free RTD Eco-pass, etc… Some day.
- Have you read the website? That’ll give you a good idea of our energy.
- This position pays $75,000 - $100,000/year, commensurate with experience.