Verblio needs an experienced marketing ops person with skills and unbridled enthusiasm to lead marketing and sales operations, tools, systems, data, and processes.
Your job: Architect the tracks and maintain the trains on our bootstrapped rocket.
Verblio is a content creation platform based in Denver, CO. We are content marketing enthusiasts with an amazing brand and platform. We’re in full-tilt growth mode with grandiose plans for world domination (the friendly kind) and show no signs of slowing down. Content is vital to modern marketing—but it’s really hard to do well and at scale (it’s hard to do great things in large quantities. That’s why wedding food is often so bad.) To help companies do that, Verblio nurtures a network of over 3,000 writers—plus a marketplace business model and an easy-to-use platform for collaboration—to allow modern digital agencies, businesses, enterprises, and publishers create great content. We’re looking for an energetic, methodical, and creative head of marketing operations to join our team.
What you’ll do at Verblio
The Marketing team at Verblio is adding a Senior Manager of Marketing Operations to help our marketing team run faster and smarter, pass batons better, leap hurdles more gracefully… this running analogy is crossing the finish line. Oh, and while this role reports into marketing, we’re buddies with sales, and since they also could use some help, we think this role will be even more awesome and useful with the full-funnel visibility of owning sales ops too. How do you feel about dotted lines?
You will be responsible for:
- Owning and optimizing the tech stack. Maintain and improve the tools we use to run sales and marketing, from the WordPress site to the sales CRM.
- Building new processes and systems that allow functional areas to talk to each other. Retargeting ads should be aware of signups. Email marketing should be aware of lifecycle stages. Etc. (So Customer Journey mapping and process charts should be a second language).
- Owning the operations for key areas of marketing, such as email marketing and A/B testing. You’ll help us manage email lists, send broadcasts, and manage automation. You’ll also execute split tests, pop-ups, and more.
- Creating and improving marketing analytics dashboards and reporting, in conjunction with functional areas of the marketing and sales teams.
- Owning operations for select areas of our sales process. You’ll support our outbound and pipeline optimization efforts through things like list sourcing and management, and creating and implementing CRM best practices.
- Testing new tools and systems, but not just for the heck of it—we believe most tools aren’t used to their full potential and switching is usually not a silver bullet.
- Running special projects. Much like the special forces of marketing, you’ll step in to design and execute on stuff we’d like to improve or test. Examples, you say?
- Our front-end chat has been languishing for 2 years. We need to do something about that. Analyze the performance of chatbots + live chat (tools and people), rearchitect the systems, make vendor decisions, orchestrate people and tools and processes that improve lead capture and delight prospects.
- Can we be the friendliest content creation platform in the business without a phone number? We’re not sure yet, but we do want to test putting 1-800-VERBLIO in our top nav. Figuring out systems and staffing to run that test and measuring what happens? Yeah, that’s you.
Ok ok, we know you want to know about tools:
And by the way, we aren’t expecting candidates to have used all of these, just some. If you’re a tools junkie, you’ll learn the rest quick.
- WordPress + Beaver Builder + an assortment of bolt-ons
- Optin Monster, RightMessage
- Keap (but we were cool enough to be using it when it was Infusionsoft, and don’t dare say Keap Max Classic out loud around here)
- Data stuff: Data Studio, Metabase, BigQuery in testing. Spreadsheets are a serious friend of yours.
- The obvious ones: Asana, Zapier, all the Google things, Microsoft Teams (juuuuust kidding)
- Toying with/thinking & dreaming about: company-wide CRM, social media management, Drift, better podcasting tools
What you will need to be successful in this role:
- 5+ years of marketing experience
- 2+ years of experience specifically with marketing operations—tools, analysis, etc
- Experience with marketing automation tools, WordPress, and at least some of the things mentioned in the tools section of this job description
- Bonus points for sales ops experience
- Analytics skills and a strong interest in analytics. You don’t need to be a wizard, but we are looking for a solid base and experience with Google Sheets, Analytics, and tool-specific analytics
- Own delivery of Verblio’s email marketing and reporting, on average one email per week
- Ability to go beyond today and help us architect the tools, processes, and systems necessary to run the marketing team at bigger scale
- Experience with, or interest in, content marketing & SEO
- Effective project management skills
- Ability to do all of this in a startup environment
- Serious attention to detail. We move fast, but try not to break things. And, increasing velocity of marketing output like tests is an important KPI.
- Cool or unexpected skills we haven’t mentioned? Let’s hear them.
You’ll be part of this hand-picked, highly efficient marketing machine
4 (soon to be 7) Full-timers:
- VP of Marketing
- Sr. Director of Product Marketing
- Content Marketing Manager
- Marketing & Project Manager
- [Hiring] Director of Content Marketing
- [Hiring] Product Marketing Manager
4 very involved contractors:
- Technical digital marketer
- Marketing automation specialist
- CRO Strategist
3 specialized agencies:
- Webdev and design agency
- Project-based content marketing agency
- Other project-based agencies as needed
You’ll love working at Verblio because of our:
- Competitive salary and stock options.
- Stylish sock options
- Health, dental & vision insurance with a generous monthly company contribution
- Family-friendly benefits, including generous parental leave, employer-paid short-term and long-term disability.
- Flexible paid time off and holidays.
- Pandemic Last Friday of every month off
- Truly awesome team of people - we don’t have needless meetings, don’t tolerate egos, and genuinely like each other. It’s awesome.
- Verblio has a vibrant company culture. We’re smart, welcoming, creative, and engaged in our jobs. We have a low turnover rate because people love working here. We’re looking for someone that wants to be a part of that.
- Did we mention we’re growing like mad? It’s way more fun to be on a rocketship than riding in circles on a model train set. (No disrespect to model train enthusiasts.) We made the Inc 5000 list for the second year in a row, won our sixth Mercury 100 award as one of the fastest-growing companies in the Boulder Valley, and just made the Colorado Companies to Watch list.
- Some day when we can safely co-locate again, we’ve got in-person perks like free food & drink, fun events, a hip centrally-located Denver office, a free RTD Eco-pass, etc… Some day.
- Have you read the website? That’ll give you a good idea of our energy.
- This position pays $65,000- 85,000 commensurate with experience.
We’re headquartered in Denver, CO (though this position can be remote!)