Verana Health partners with leading medical associations to transform clinical data into actionable real-world evidence. These partnerships enable Verana to harness the comprehensive data found in qualified clinical data registries and other specialty data sources to accelerate medical research and enhance patient care. Verana raised $100 million from investors including GV, formerly Google Ventures, and Bain Capital Ventures, showing a continued thirst for new data-driven approaches to treating disease.
Our team is reinventing how medical research happens with data and technology. This is a company built by and for people who are looking to get out of their comfort zone and try new things, who want to learn and grow quickly, and who seek to be part of a mission-driven team committed to improving patient lives. Our headquarters are located in San Francisco and we have additional offices in Knoxville, TN and New York City with employees working remotely in AZ, CA, FL, GA, IL, MA, NC, NJ, NY, OR, PA, TN, TX, VA, WA, and WI. All employees are required to have permanent residency in one of these states. Candidates who are willing to relocate are also encouraged to apply.
Verana Health is seeking a Healthcare Data Scientist who understands how to solve complex business and health questions through data. This is a rare opportunity to help build the foundation of healthcare data and impact the lives of millions by helping reinvent healthcare research, clinical trials, and data curation.
The ideal candidate would be someone who loves to learn, is detailed oriented, has exceptional critical thinking and analytical skills, has experience analyzing EHR or claims data, is proficient in SQL and Pyspark (Python/Pandas is acceptable), understands clinical workflows, and can quickly learn clinical concepts in ophthalmology, neurology, and urology.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The position will be a part of the data quality product team responsible for creating an automated and scalable data quality assessment tool and infrastructure, as well as improving data quality through investigating and resolving issues. The role will initially start with investigating and troubleshooting issues, as well as code data quality assessment tests. As you become more familiar with our data and issues, you will develop checks and triggers to highlight potential data quality issues, develop & enhance existing methods to quantitatively profile and assess the level of quality of data for both structured and unstructured data, and provide consultation and guidance for data quality issues across data pipelines, products and projects. You’ll have the opportunity to work cross-functionally with many teams and make a huge impact that is felt throughout the entire company.
- Ability to write functions in python or pyspark (dataframes).
- Experience cleaning or profiling healthcare data.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working with and analyzing structured and unstructured EHR or claims data.
- Analytical mindset with the ability to focus on a problem, ask insightful questions, and gain expertise quickly.
- Basic knowledge of medical terminology and clinical practice
- Understanding of clinical coding vocabularies such as ICD, CPT, NDC codes
- Competent understanding of basic descriptive statistical principles
- Critical thinking skills
- Detailed oriented
- Desire and ability to learn quickly
- Experience in working with data models from EMRs such as Epic, Nextgen, Nextech, eClinicalWorks, Intelichart Pro (MDIntellesys), MedFlow, GE Centricity, etc.
- Clinical knowledge and understanding of specific coding rules for ophthalmology, neurology, and/or urology
- Understanding of MIPS reporting requirements and measures
- Experience with health interoperability standard information models (e.g., FHIR CDM) and clinical vocabularies (ex. SNOMED CT, LOINC, RxNORM)
- Clinical knowledge in a healthcare domain. Extra bonus if you understand key conditions and treatments in ophthalmology, neurology, and/or urology.
- Understanding of RWE studies, market trends, clinical trial, and/or provider/practice profiling, and/or regulatory grade data.
- Experience working with healthcare patient notes
Verana Health values our employees well-being and happiness. We provide fully covered health, vision and dental for employees, Flexible vacation plans, learning and development allowances, a generous parental leave policy, 401K and commuter benefits.