Who we are:
The Vera Institute of Justice, founded in 1961, is a nonprofit criminal justice organization that strives to build just government institutions and safe communities free from the scourge of racism, white supremacy, profit, and inequity that is pervasive in this country’s legal systems. We are an “inside” lane organization that drives change at scale with ambitious public sector leaders who share our commitment to building anti-racist, reparative systems that deliver justice. We leverage our access to government to transform these systems and work collaboratively with stakeholders across many movements—including advocacy, grassroots, and grasstop organizations. Our role is to pilot solutions that are transformative and achievable, harness the power of evidence to drive effective policy and practice, and use advocacy and communications to change narratives and norms.
Vera has a staff of 300 people and offices in New York City, Washington, DC, Los Angeles, and New Orleans. We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity in the workplace. We expect our staff to embody respect, independence, collaboration, commitment, anti-racism, and equity—both in our outward-facing work and the internal culture of our workplace. We value a range of experiences in people’s educational backgrounds and encourage people who have been directly impacted by the criminal justice system to apply.
Who you are:
The Digital Content Editor will work in close collaboration with members of the digital team, reporting to the Digital Engagement Director. You will work alongside content managers, web engagement, designers, developers, and other members of Vera’s editorial and program teams to manage the daily workflow and production of digital content, social media copy, social media graphics and infographics, blogs, and emails to the Vera subscriber list, etc.
The Digital Content Editor will be a creative content strategist and digital tactician, overseeing, planning, and managing the digital content calendar, while implementing campaigns that support Vera’s programmatic and communications goals.
What you'll do:
Digital Content Planning
The Digital Content Editor oversees content planning and production across digital channels, including social media and email. In this role, the Editor will:
- Manage daily workflow and production of digital content, assigning projects and assignments to content managers, designers, and other team members.
- Manage the digital content calendar, working closely with the Director and Editorial team to craft and conceptualize campaigns across Vera’s programs and initiatives.
- Draft and edit messaging and copy for social media, aligning content with approved messages, clear calls to action, and strategic ladders of engagement.
- Oversee the work of 2+ Digital Content Editors, including reviewing and approving content and providing regular feedback.
Email Strategy and Content
- Manage a robust email calendar, working in coordination with the Digital Fundraising Manager (Development) and other collaborators to manage an active and growing email program.
- Draft and edit email copy, overseeing the work of digital copywriters as needed.
- Develop and manage a highly segmented email program, working with program and initiative teams, Development, and other stakeholders to serve various programmatic and communications goals.
Coordinating Digital Strategy with Programs
- Regularly meet with initiative leads and embedded communications managers to align programmatic, communications, and digital goals with tactics.
- Serve as the digital lead for multiple program areas and initiative teams, coordinating digital strategy to support the teams’ goals and project managing digital campaigns from planning to implementation.
What qualifications are we looking for?
- Bachelor's degree + 4 - 7 years of relevant experience. In lieu of degree requirement, applicable work or life experience may be considered.
- 5+ years of digital content experience
- 3+ years managing social media channels and/or email lists for nonprofit, advocacy, and/or political organizations
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
Additional eligibility requirements:
- A deep knowledge of the digital landscape; you know what people are talking about, where they’re talking about it, and how Vera can add our voice to the conversation
- Demonstrated experience creating digital content from conception to implementation; you are detail-oriented, but can see the big picture
- You have keen time management and multitasking skills, including the ability to take initiative, prioritize tasks and duties, pay close attention to detail, and work independently while meeting specific deadlines
- Exceptional digital communications skills; you have the ability to distill complex topics into accessible, concise, persuasive, and elegant copy
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities you'll bring:
- In-depth knowledge of social media, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and the broader digital communications landscape
- Expertise in editing and writing for digital channels
- Familiarity with Google Analytics and social media analytics platforms
- Familiarity with graphic design programs
- Social media monitoring and management tools (Hootsuite, Tweetdeck, SproutSocial, Buffer, etc.)
- Familiar user of social media with the ability to stay informed on current events
- Avid reader of the latest trends in digital and social media
- Strong grammar and spelling
Technical knowledge we need you prepared to use:
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator or other design programs
- Experience with CRM programs (MailChimp, EveryAction, etc.)
- Experience in HTML
Please note this role will report to our Brooklyn office. Vera employees adhere to a hybrid schedule and are in-office on an alternating schedule that generally amounts to 10 days per month.
Compensation and Benefits:
The compensation range for this position is $85,000 - $90,000. Actual salaries will vary depending on factors including but not limited to experience and performance. The salary range listed is just one component of Vera Institute’s total compensation package for employees. As an employer of choice in our field, supporting Vera staff—both personally and professionally—is a priority. To do this, we invest in the well-being of our staff through other rewards including merit pay, generous paid time off, a comprehensive health insurance plan, student loan repayment benefits, professional development training opportunities and up to $2,000 annual for education costs and fees relevant to Vera work, employer-funded retirement plan, and flexible time. To learn more about Vera’s benefits offerings, click here.
Applications may also be faxed to:
ATTN: People Resources / Digital Content Editor
Vera Institute of Justice
34 35th St, Suite 4-2A, Brooklyn, NY 11232
Fax: (212) 941-9407
Please use only one method (online, mail or fax) of submission.
No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
As a federal contractor, and in order to ensure a healthy and safe work environment, Vera Institute of Justice is requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccine before their start date. Employees who cannot receive the vaccine because of a disability/medical contraindication or sincerely-held religious belief may request an accommodation (e.g., an exemption) to this requirement.
Vera is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, citizenship status, current employment status, or caregiver status.
Vera works to advance justice, particularly racial justice, in an increasingly multicultural country and globally connected world. We value diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background and justice system contact, and depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.
For more information about Vera, please visit www.vera.org