Who we are:
The Vera Institute of Justice, founded in 1961, is a nonprofit criminal justice organization that strives to build just government institutions and safe communities free from the scourge of racism, white supremacy, profit, and inequity that is pervasive in this country’s legal systems. We are an “inside” lane organization that drives change at scale with ambitious public sector leaders who share our commitment to building anti-racist, reparative systems that deliver justice. We leverage our access to government to transform these systems and work collaboratively with stakeholders across many movements—including advocacy, grassroots, and grasstop organizations. Our role is to pilot solutions that are transformative and achievable, harness the power of evidence to drive effective policy and practice, and use advocacy and communications to change narratives and norms.
Vera has a staff of 300 people and offices in New York City, Washington, DC, Los Angeles, and New Orleans. We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity in the workplace. We expect our staff to embody respect, independence, collaboration, commitment, anti-racism, and equity—both in our outward-facing work and the internal culture of our workplace. We value a range of experiences in people’s educational backgrounds and encourage people who have been directly impacted by the criminal justice system to apply.
Who you are:
The Cloud Data & Network Engineer will be the person responsible for the design, architecture, assessment, documentation and implementation of new and existing cloud and data infrastructure. This role will report into the Associate Director of Operations and Infrastructure and work closely with the Data Science and Security teams in developing secure cloud environment based on Vera’s requirements for data processing. The Cloud Data & Network Engineer will be responsible for building the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL, Python, and AWS (+ other cloud platforms) ‘big data’ technologies.
What you'll do:
Cloud and Data Infrastructure
- Design, build, test and maintain new and existing Vera cloud infrastructure (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Research, test, and support new technology requests related to data and cloud infrastructure
- Participate in meetings and internal request intake process (ticketing system) to recommend Cloud and data solutions that meet Vera TechOps standards
- Bridges the gap between established enterprise LAN and private cloud and public cloud implementation
- Assist with training for new and existing research members and manage enterprise Identity and Access Management (IAM) for Vera’s cloud platforms
- Participate in the development and implementation of an Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) solution and maintain the underlying infrastructure
- Responsible for planning and implementing new network security controls around cloud infrastructure, based on recommendations from the Security team and contractual requirements
- Assist with the implementation of Network and Infrastructure logging and monitoring tools/services to assess performance and recommend improvements
- Monitor, investigate, and remediate network issues related to Vera hosted cloud services
- Create and maintain thorough documentation and Network Diagrams to represent current and future state of the cloud infrastructure and data ETL process
- Create and maintain detailed SOPs for processes related to data and cloud infrastructure
Training and Development
- Invest time researching and learning about emerging cloud services/solutions that can drive innovation and improve existing workloads.
- Continued professional development to improve upon existing abilities and develop new skills to stay current with technology trends.
What qualifications do you need?
- Bachelor's Degree in computer engineering, computer science, engineering or information systems or equivalent experience building and supporting Cloud and Data environments
- Proven experience in managing/maintaining cloud systems and supporting data analysis and research teams
- Advanced experience working with relational databases (Microsoft SQL server, AWS RDS, DynamoDB, Redshift) and strong familiarity with Python for data processing
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment
- Experience building and optimizing data pipelines, architectures and data sets
- Certifications: AWS Certified Solutions Architect, AWS Certified SysOps Administrator
List of Required Software Applications:
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite, Cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, GCP), Networking and systems, Administration of Windows and Linux servers. Strong communication skills (written and verbal), with the ability to communicate advanced, complex technology concepts to non-technical people.
- AWS, Azure/O365, Active Directory, Windows and Linux servers, Databases, Zoom, Slack, Lucidchart, Smartsheets
Please note this role is located in Brooklyn, New York and Vera employees adhere to a hybrid schedule: two days in office their first week and three days in office every alternating week.
Compensation and Benefits
The compensation range for this position is $115,000 - $125,000. Actual salaries will vary depending on factors including but not limited to experience and performance. The salary range listed is just one component of Vera Institute’s total compensation package for employees. As an employer of choice in our field, supporting Vera staff—both personally and professionally—is a priority. To do this, we invest in the well-being of our staff through other rewards including merit pay, generous paid time off, a comprehensive health insurance plan, student loan repayment benefits, professional development training opportunities and up to $2,000 annual for education costs and fees relevant to Vera work, employer-funded retirement plan, and flexible time. Please note this role is located in Brooklyn, New York and Vera employees adhere to a hybrid schedule: two days in office their first week and three days in office every alternating week. To learn more about Vera’s benefits offerings, click here.
Applications may also be faxed to:
ATTN: People Resources / Cloud and Data Network Engineer, Information Technology
Vera Institute of Justice
34 35th St, Suite 4-2A, Brooklyn, NY 11232
Fax: (212) 941-9407
Please use only one method (online, mail or fax) of submission.
No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
As a federal contractor, and in order to ensure a healthy and safe work environment, Vera Institute of Justice is requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccine before their start date. Employees who cannot receive the vaccine because of a disability/medical contraindication or sincerely-held religious belief may request an accommodation (e.g., an exemption) to this requirement.
Vera is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, citizenship status, current employment status, or caregiver status.
Vera works to advance justice, particularly racial justice, in an increasingly multicultural country and globally connected world. We value diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background and justice system contact, and depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.
For more information about Vera, please visit www.vera.org