We all love what we do, and we all love doing it together, because we demand the best people to make the best Venmo.
Venmo was founded on the principles of breaking down the foreboding walls of financial transactions to make them intuitive and even fun with friends. And it worked, people love sending money with Venmo.
But we’re not done. We want to take that magic of sending money with Venmo and cascade it into every place you use your money. We want to connect the people of the world with their money, in an intuitive way, then connect them with each other in a genuine way.
All that’s going to take a lot of figuring out. Let’s figure it out together.
Engineering at Venmo
At Venmo, we are creating a product that people love. We strive to create a delightful user experience while connecting the world and empowering people through payments. We are looking for intellectually curious people who want to be inspired and inspire others to change the world.
Engineering is a craft, and at Venmo we want the internals of our software to be as elegant as the end user experience we are designing. We spend our days scaling our infrastructure and building new features to meet and exceed our user’s needs and wants. We teach and learn from one another, and push each other to be at our creative and analytical bests.
Senior Database Engineer:
As a Database Engineer at Venmo you will be responsible for making engineering design decisions and developing the data models and managing the data platforms used by Venmo. You will also be expected to be a role model on coding standards, tools, platforms and other best practices for the backend team. Specific responsibilities include:
Things you'll do:
- Leading the design, implementation and scaling of Venmo's data model and data platforms.
- Collaborating with other engineers in API design and development
- Scaling the architecture of the data models and data platforms to support growth while keeping the Venmo service fast and reliable
- Reducing the level of technical debt of the backend codebase
- Help triage bugs, track software defects, and ensure their timely resolution
- Stewarding technical standards and quality
- Interface with product and other functional teams and their leadership
What we are looking for:
- Bachelors and/or Masters in computer science OR related field of study
- 6+ years experience in software development or a related field
- Experience working on backend systems at scale, using technologies like MySQL, Django, MongoDB, Python, Java, etc.
- Experience architecting and deploying horizontally scaling data services.
- Experience building and deploying complex but well architected, maintainable, and testable application backends
- Experience with error logging and performance tools such (Sentry, New Relic, etc.)
- Strong object-oriented programming skills
- Strong communication skills with the ability to understand and explain technical issues to a non-technical audience