Head of Delivery and Program Management
Venmo was founded on the principles of breaking down the intimidating barriers around financial transactions to make them intuitive, friendly, and even fun. And it worked: people love sending money with Venmo, and we’re growing by leaps and bounds!
But we’re only just getting started. We want to take that magic of sending money with Venmo and cascade it into every place where people use money. That means connecting people to their money in the most intuitive and fun way possible, then connecting people with each other. Users already love Venmo, but we know there are lots of things we haven’t thought of to make the experience of using Venmo even more delightful and valuable. All that’s going to take a lot of figuring out. Let’s figure it out together!
Engineering at Venmo
At Venmo, we are creating a product that people love. We strive to create a delightful user experience while connecting the world and empowering people through payments. We are looking for intellectually curious people who want to be inspired and inspire others to change the world.
Engineering is a craft, and at Venmo we want the internals of our software to be as elegant as the end user experience we are designing. We spend our days building new features and scaling our infrastructure to meet and exceed our user’s needs and wants. We teach and learn from one another, and push each other to be at our creative and analytical bests.
Head of Delivery and Program Management
Head of Operations & Program Management works with business, product, design, engineering leaders and engineers to improve processes and collaboration across groups. In this role you will be responsible for building a system where we can create value for our customers more efficiently, reliably and be predictable for the business at scale.
With a strong understanding of software delivery process that includes discovery, solutioning, planning, execution and delivery, the Head of Operations & Program Management is uniquely positioned to help drive initiatives to improve core foundations and experiences at Venmo. You are instrumental in shaping the future of Venmo in how we operate and deliver value to our customers at scale.
Things you'll do:
- Develop, optimize and roll out a consistent Venmo operating model across all stakeholders (Product, Design, Business, Engineering, Customer Support, etc.)
- Run the delivery organization, including portfolio planning, program management, release management and agile coaching, and optimize efficiencies across Venmo
- Work with the senior leadership team on capacity planning, resource allocation, and hiring across Venmo to make sure we are delivering on our commitments
- Motivate, lead, coach and mentor teams towards more scaled agile practices and faster iteration for our business
- Ensure the timely delivery of initiatives while continually raising the bar
- Encourage technical and organizational innovation while hitting development deadlines
- Foster a collaborative attitude within Engineering and across Engineering, Design, and Product Management teams to ensure releases go smoothly
- Help triage bugs, track software defects, and ensure their timely resolution
- Play a key role in people-related initiatives including recruiting, on-boarding, performance reviews, training, career advancement, etc.
- Build out the operations team to support Venmo’s growth
What we are looking for:
- 10+ years experience in software development, program management or a related field
- 5+ years of experience managing delivery operations and programs for key stakeholders
- 5+ years of experience in coaching, mentoring, and building high performance teams
- Experience in implementing SAFe successfully across large organizations
- Experience in building teams, recruiting, and interviewing for software engineers
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (must be able to give honest, direct, and actionable feedback, as well as present across the business and to leadership)
- Ability to be a change agent and drive change across complex organizations
- Experienced in software development lifecycle and process management
- Experience in working with Product, Design, Engineering and other key stakeholders necessary for software development
- Ability to grasp business requirements and have the ability to optimize overall operations to achieve business goals efficiently and in a timely manner
- Ability to work with broader leadership team to provide readouts and set expectations
- Ability to quickly operationalize new ideas and drive change across the broader organization
- Requires ~25% travel a month visiting all our locations and have the ability to manage a distributed team across time zones (East and West)