Venmo was founded on the principles of breaking down the intimidating barriers around financial transactions to make them intuitive, friendly, and even fun. And it worked: people love sending money with Venmo, and we’re growing by leaps and bounds!
But we’re only just getting started. We want to take that magic of sending money with Venmo and cascade it into every place where people use money. That means connecting people to their money in the most intuitive and fun way possible, then connecting people with each other. Users already love Venmo, but we know there are lots of things we haven’t thought of to make the experience of using Venmo even more delightful and valuable. All that’s going to take a lot of figuring out. Let’s figure it out together!
Engineering at Venmo
At Venmo, we are creating a product that people love. We strive to create a delightful user experience while connecting the world and empowering people through payments. We are looking for intellectually curious people who want to be inspired and inspire others to change the world.
Engineering is a craft, and at Venmo we want the internals of our software to be as elegant as the end user experience we are designing. We spend our days scaling our infrastructure and building new features to meet and exceed our user’s needs and wants. We teach and learn from one another, and push each other to be at our creative and analytical bests.
Software Engineer, Foundations
As a Software Engineer, Foundations at Venmo you will be responsible for improving developer productivity, from desktop to production. You will also be expected to be a role model on coding standards, tools, platforms and other continuous deployment best practices for the Venmo Engineering teams. Specific responsibilities include:
What You’ll Do
- Leading the design and development of developer productivity tools around continuous integration/deployment/testing.
- Implement and evolve scaled infrastructure that our product experiences depend on, like Kafka, containers/k8s.
- Collaborating with other engineers in API design and development
- Scaling our commit pipeline architecture and codebase to support growth while keeping the Venmo internal services fast and reliable
- Help triage issues, track software defects and ensure their timely resolution
- Stewarding technical standards and quality
- Interface with the product and other functional teams and their leadership
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelors and/or Masters in computer science OR related field of study
- 2+ years experience in software development or a related field
- Experience working on backend systems and/or developer tooling at scale, using technologies like MySQL, Django, MongoDB, Python, Java, etc.
- Experience implementing services in public cloud and containers/k8s
- Experience building and deploying complex but well architected, maintainable, and testable application backends
- Experience with error logging and performance tools (Sentry, New Relic, ELK, etc.)
- Strong object-oriented programming skills
- Strong communication skills with the ability to understand and explain technical issues to a non-technical audience