About the Company:
The Venetoulis Institute for Local Journalism is a non-profit news media company launching The Baltimore Banner in the second quarter of 2022. The company is a high-profile, well-funded startup supported by some of the top names in the media industry and has been featured in The Atlantic, Washington Post, and New York Times, among others. Solely focused on the Baltimore area, Venetoulis is creating a new paradigm for digital-first, cross-channel local media. Content will extend across web, mobile (app), radio (terrestrial and satellite), and video (TV and digital). The vision is to be the leading provider of news and lifestyle content in the Baltimore area.
About the Job:
We are looking for a detail-oriented controller to oversee the overall accounting processes. The controller will ensure the accuracy and quality of financial transactions and reporting, develop our economic well-being and play a key role in financial decision-making. You will provide senior management with strategic financial input and be responsible for compliance with GAAP.
To ensure success, we are looking for you to give management sound advice and manage accounting activities to provide visibility and control costs.
Objectives of this Role
- Provide comprehensive financial updates to senior management by evaluating, analyzing, and reporting appropriate data points
- Guide financial decisions by applying company policies and procedures to the current economic landscape
- Develop, implement, and maintain financial controls and guidelines
- Achieve budgeting goals with proper scheduling, analysis, and corrective action
- Ensure compliance with all rules and regulations, including GAAP
- Help develop and support short and long-term operational strategies
- Manage and monitor all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems, ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements and the needs of private contributions, loans, and government grants. Create journal entries and maintain General Ledger.
- Maintain internal control safeguards for the receipt of revenue, costs, and both team and organizational budgets and actual expenditures.
- Prepare financial statements and supporting schedules according to the close monthly plan, including monthly account reconciliations.
- In conjunction with the Director of Finance, establish financial and operating benchmarks, budgets, program monitoring, and reporting standards monthly, quarterly, and annual
- Lead the annual financial and tax audits.
- Implement consistent accounting policies, practices, and procedures across all programs, upholding federal, state, and local legal standards by remaining knowledgeable about existing, new, and future legislation.
- Develop and enforce internal controls to maximize the protection of company assets, policies, procedures, and workflow.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, or related field
- 10+ years of proven accounting experience
- Minimum 5+ years experience as a senior-level accounting or finance manager
- Professional accounting certification CMA
- Working knowledge of finance law and regulatory standards (GAAP)
- Strong working knowledge of detailed financial data analysis
- Exemplary history of financial project management
- Working knowledge of federal, state, and local tax compliance regulations and reporting
- Nonprofit experience preferred
- CPA preferred
The Venetoulis Institute embraces diversity and inclusion, and we are wholeheartedly committed to being proactive in inspiring a culture of inclusion across our organization. We are dedicated to establishing an organization that reflects the fundamental respect for different ways of working and living. We assure every employee the opportunity to reach their full potential.