About the Company:
The Venetoulis Institute is a nonprofit organization founded to bring high-quality local journalism to the Baltimore metro area. We started on this journey because local news is under siege across the country. Many news organizations are either shutting down, downsizing to survive, or being bought out by hedge funds focusing on the bottom line. Despite Baltimore’s proud history of great journalism, our region’s publications have not been spared the realities of the news industry.
We are creating a vibrant, strong, trustworthy, and sustainable news organization to fulfill our mission. We are seeking to re-imagine what a news organization for the future looks like. We launched The Baltimore Banner, a multi-platform news operation covering a broad range of topics from local government to culture and the arts.
About the Job:
Reporting to the Director of Philanthropy & Operations, the Prospect Research Analyst will be responsible for designing and implementing effective prospect research strategies that focus on researching high-net-worth individuals and foundations and prospecting from among low-dollar donors / contributing subscribers. The role will also help oversee the donor database implementation and reporting for the Venetoulis Institute for Local Journalism, ensuring proper record keeping and policies around data protocols are established and followed. The position directly impacts the organization’s ability to meet its annual fundraising goals, helping to build out systems/reporting and surface key prospects that collectively drive results. As building the operation is fluid, these responsibilities may be subject to adjustment.
- Provide responsive and accurate information and data on prospects’ personal wealth, business achievements, existing philanthropy, repetitional risks, and other relevant information for leadership’s use in preparing for gift conversations, making use of available financial and philanthropic information and database resources;
- Design / refine the set of tools and processes the Institute uses to both identify and track prospects’ progress through the pipeline; utilizing the database and developing other tailored resources (dashboards, tracking systems) to facilitate this work;
- Support the Institute’s implementation of Salesforce for development purposes, and work with internal or external resources to design and implement practical reporting tools and dashboards;
- Coordinate with staff/contractors as needed on gift processing and data entry to ensure accuracy of automation data quality;
- Research and implement a wealth screening tool/service for prospecting among lower-dollar donors;
- Manage the development operation’s research-oriented subscriptions and evaluate new products as needed;
- Other duties as needs dictate – flexibility is critical in a startup environment.
- Two-plus years of development/fundraising experience, preferably in a nonprofit setting. Prior experience in nonprofit journalism or media organizations is a plus. Familiarity with the Baltimore/Maryland philanthropic landscape is desired.
- Bachelors’ Degree required.
- Experience working with Salesforce or similar donor software or other CRM required.
- Intense research and analytical skills, including the ability to assimilate and summarize large amounts of information for consumption by leadership
- Strong writing/editing skills
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to work responsibly with highly confidential information
- Ability and willingness to learn new skill sets, technologies, and processes. A curiosity that leads to growth and innovation
- Self-awareness, intellectual sensitivity, versatility, and initiative
The Venetoulis Institute embraces diversity and inclusion, and we are wholeheartedly committed to being proactive in inspiring a culture of inclusion across our organization. We are dedicated to establishing an organization that reflects the fundamental respect for different ways of working and living. We assure every employee the opportunity to reach their full potential.