About the Company:
The Venetoulis Institute for Local Journalism is a non-profit news media company launching The Baltimore Banner in the second quarter of 2022. The company is a high-profile, well-funded startup supported by some of the top names in the media industry and has been featured in The Atlantic, Washington Post, New York Times, among others. Solely focused on the Baltimore area, they are creating a new paradigm for digital-first, cross-channel local media. Their content will extend across the web, mobile (app), radio (terrestrial and satellite), and video (TV and digital). Their vision is to be the leading provider of news and lifestyle content in the Baltimore area.
About this Job:
We are looking for a Product Designer to lead our digital design practice at The Venetoulis Institute. Reporting to the Chief Product Officer, you’ll join a diverse Product and Design team and work closely with Editorial, Engineering, Marketing, and other stakeholders. The ideal candidate will quickly interpret business and customer needs and turn them into compelling solutions. Often working under tight deadlines while overseeing multiple projects, you must be a skilled leader of UX designers and juggle multiple stakeholder requirements. The Product Designer must be an effective communicator, especially when it comes to relaying abstract or creative concepts to engineering and design teams and company stakeholders. Domain expertise in responsive web and mobile apps (Android and iOS) is required.
- Design exceptional products from start to finish, participating in all design phases, from definition to development and optimization
- Iterate actively with prototypes at all levels of design fidelity, informed by user research, market trends, and business goals. Then, design in low and high fidelity and choose the most efficient and responsible process for the job at hand
- Communicate and often share in written, verbal, and visual forms to create alignment and move the work towards implementation
- Collaborate regularly with Editorial and Engineering to ship high-quality experiences
- Engage in design discussions and give feedback during planning and strategy meetings
- Quickly translate ideas into sketches, wireframes, mockups, and interactive prototypes
- Test assets and optimize based on their performance
- Create digital assets (static, video, and HTML) for a range of platforms (social, web, newsletter, mobile app)
- Research industry trends to present ideas and concepts for timely digital innovation
- 8 – 10 years experience in digital product design. Experience in responsive web and native mobile apps. 4 – 5 years of experience in editorial design is a plus
- Strong portfolio showing the breadth of digital design capabilities
- Experience with user-centered design, rapid prototyping, and user testing. A keenness for identifying user needs, defining clear solutions, and delivering those through detailed design
- Experience in the design thinking process, agile development, and lean startup methodologies
- Strong knowledge of current digital design best practices and web production techniques.
- Strong understanding of visual design principles
- Experience working directly with developers to implement designs. Experience working in a collaborative team environment
- Expertise with standard digital design tools, including Figma, Sketch, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe XD, InVision, etc. Working knowledge of CSS and HTML. Photo and video editing expertise a plus
- The ability to integrate feedback, validate, and iterate on our products while being mindful of our customers, contributors, and insights gleaned by our support teams
- The ability to connect business strategies, available technologies, and design solutions to deliver best-in-class user experiences
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
The Venetoulis Institute embraces diversity and inclusion, and we are wholeheartedly committed to being proactive in inspiring a culture of inclusion across our organization. We are dedicated to establishing an organization that reflects the fundamental respect for different ways of working and living. We assure every employee the opportunity to reach their full potential.