About the Company:
The company is a high-profile, well-funded startup that is supported by some of the top names in the media industry. Solely focused on the Baltimore area, they are creating a new paradigm for digital-first, cross-channel local media. Their content will extend across web, mobile (app), radio (terrestrial and satellite), and video (TV and digital). Their vision is to be the leading provider of news and lifestyle content in the Baltimore area.
About the Job:
The Baltimore Banner is looking for news columnists to give their perspectives on local issues and tell the stories of people in the community. The ideal columnists will become high-profile members of the news staff whose voice will enable them to connect with readers personally. Columnists should be fearless in choosing the topics they will cover and withstand criticism from people who disagree with their views.
The ideal candidates will have a strong writing voice and navigate many different topics, whether to weigh in on the latest political issues or crime wave or to write about local neighborhoods. They should be able to snoop out the untold stories of Baltimore City and offer unique perspectives that may surprise readers. Our columnists should have strong reporting skills to back up their opinions. Columnists should also be collaborative, ambitious, and willing to experiment with storytelling in multiple forms on many platforms.
We are a mission-driven organization focused on local news and improving the community. We expect all candidates to believe sincerely in that mission and to work collaboratively as a team. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive newsroom with positive morale and culture.
- Write strong opinion pieces that weigh in on critical topics impacting readers
- Find the hidden stories of Baltimore and the rest of our coverage area
- Employ data and public records to help produce strong accountability journalism
- Develop a robust set of sources on the beat to help generate scoops as well as surprising and engaging story ideas
- Represent The Banner in the community as needed -- in person or on television or radio appearances
- Use and understand newsroom analytics to hone and identify the coverage that serves readers
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in journalism
- A track record of excellent and accurate reporting
- Strong writing skills and unique voice
- A commitment to local coverage
- A commitment to diversity and covering different communities
- Can convey complex ideas with clarity and precision
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Strong ability to use social media to enhance reporting, promote stories and keep in touch with what readers are talking about
- Enthusiasm for news and content that will resonate with readers
- Teamwork and willingness to collaborate with others
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to give and receive constructive feedback
- Willingness to work some nights and weekends as news dictates
- A commitment to upholding journalistic values and ethics
The Venetoulis Institute embraces diversity and inclusion, and we are wholeheartedly committed to being proactive in inspiring a culture of inclusion across our organization. We are dedicated to establishing an organization that reflects the fundamental respect for different ways of working and living, and we assure every employee the opportunity to reach their full potential.