About the Company:
The company is a high-profile, well-funded startup that is supported by some of the top names in the media industry. Solely focused on the Baltimore area, they are creating a new paradigm for digital-first, cross-channel local media. Their content will extend across web, mobile (app), radio (terrestrial and satellite), and video (TV and digital). Their vision is to be the leading provider of news and lifestyle content in the Baltimore area.
About the Job:
The Baltimore Banner is hiring an audience engagement editor responsible for working with the audience director to implement a solid social media strategy that attracts readers to our stories and other content. This person will also engage readers in discussions about current events and cultural trends, solicit readers’ questions and story ideas and generally keep up with what’s on the minds of Banner subscribers and what they want to read.
The audience engagement editor should be comfortable using analytics to see what drives readers to our sites to understand their needs for engagement purposes. The editor will work with reporters and news editors on the best ways to approach stories and ensure best practices are met for digital, social media, SEO use, and audience engagement. They will work with the design team on illustrations, graphics, and other visual storytelling needs. The editor will stay on top of the latest social media trends and incorporate them into story coverage when plausible. The ideal candidates are collaborative, ambitious, and willing to experiment with storytelling in multiple forms on many platforms. We are a mission-driven organization focused on local news and improving the community. We expect all candidates to believe sincerely in that mission and work collaboratively as a team. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive newsroom with positive morale and culture.
- Implement a solid social media strategy to interact with and engage with our readers
- Implement a social media strategy that best promotes daily coverage, enterprise stories, and long-term projects
- Manage social media accounts. Uses email alerts, push notifications, and other techniques to drive new and return visits to the Banner webpage and mobile sites
- Work across social media platforms to help our readers engage with our content
- Generate new ideas for audience growth and be open to new ways of reaching readers
- Represent The Banner in the community as needed -- in person or on television or radio appearances
- Use and understand newsroom analytics to hone and identify the coverage that serves readers
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in journalism
- An understanding of audience data and analytics and track record for using data for social media strategy
- Proficiency with analytics tools such as Parse.ly and Google Analytics
- Ability to work across many different platforms – photos, video, graphics, and words.
- Strong knowledge of social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Apple News, Microsoft News, Tik Tok, Instagram, Pocket, Flipboard, SmartNews, Reddit, Google News, YouTube, Clubhouse, and newsletters
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Enthusiasm for news and content that will resonate with readers
- Teamwork and willingness to collaborate with others
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to give and receive constructive feedback
- Willingness to work some nights and weekends as news dictates
- A commitment to upholding journalistic values and ethics
The Venetoulis Institute embraces diversity and inclusion, and we are wholeheartedly committed to being proactive in inspiring a culture of inclusion across our organization. We are dedicated to establishing an organization that reflects the fundamental respect for different ways of working and living, and we assure every employee the opportunity to reach their full potential.