About the Company:
The Venetoulis Institute for Local Journalism is a non-profit news media company that is launching The Baltimore Banner in the second quarter of 2022. The company is a high profile, well-funded startup that is supported by some of the top names in the media industry, and has been featured in The Atlantic, Washington Post, New York Times, among others. Solely focused on the Baltimore area, they are creating a new paradigm for digital-first, cross-channel local media. Their content will extend across web, mobile (app), radio (terrestrial and satellite) and video (TV and digital). Their vision is to be the leading provider of news and lifestyle content in the Baltimore area. We are a mission-driven organization focused on local news and improving the community. We expect all candidates to believe sincerely in that mission and to work collaboratively as a team. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive newsroom with positive morale and culture.
About the Job:
The Baltimore Banner is looking for a Food Reporter in our Arts & Culture department to join a small team responsible for covering the news and concerns of Baltimore City, county and beyond. The ideal candidate is well-versed in everything food-related in the Baltimore area, and knowledgeable about how food industries in nearby cities operate as well.
This person will report on trends happening in the local dining scene, what new development of restaurant spaces means for the city in a wider context and have sources that will make them aware of worker relations in the local food space. You should have excellent news judgment, strong reporting and writing skills and experience covering stories related to the food industry. We are a mission-driven organization focused on local news and improving the community. We expect all candidates to believe sincerely in that mission and to work collaboratively as a team. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive newsroom with positive morale and culture.
- Pitch, report and write in-depth food related features that go beyond highlighting cool food spots in the city to report on challenges that various food-related industries face in the Baltimore
- Develop a strong sense for newsworthy stories in the dining industry, such as food shortages, accessibility of new restaurants coming to the city, and what issues workers face in terms of
- Contribute daily coverage, enterprise stories and long-term projects
- Develop a strong set of sources on the beat – restaurateurs, developers, local shop owners, and chefs -- to help generate scoops as well as surprising and engaging story ideas
- Represent The Banner in the community as needed, in person or on television or radio appearances
- Use and understand newsroom analytics to hone and identify coverage that serves readers
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in journalism
- A track record of excellent and accurate reporting
- Can convey complex ideas with clarity and precision
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Strong ability to use social media to enhance reporting, promote stories and keep in touch with what readers are talking about
- Enthusiasm for news and content that will resonate with readers
- Teamwork and willingness to collaborate with others
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to give and receive constructive feedback
- Willingness to work some nights and weekends as news dictates
- A commitment to upholding journalistic values and ethics
- Knowledge of arts and culture coverage from other publications is a plus
The Venetoulis Institute embraces diversity and inclusion, and we are wholeheartedly committed to being proactive in inspiring a culture of inclusion across our organization. We are dedicated to establishing an organization that reflects the fundamental respect for different ways of working and living, and we assure every employee the opportunity to reach their full potential.