About the Company:
The company is a high profile, well-funded startup that is supported by some of the top names in the media industry. Solely focused on the Baltimore area, they are creating a new paradigm for digital-first, cross-channel local media. Their content will extend across web, mobile (app), radio (terrestrial and satellite) and video (TV and digital). Their vision is to be the leading provider of news and lifestyle content in the Baltimore area.
About the Job:
The Baltimore Banner is looking for reporters to join a team responsible for covering crime, courts, law enforcement and social justice issues in Baltimore city and county. For reporters interested in these issues, this is one of the best news towns in the world.
Reporters should have excellent news judgment, strong reporting and writing skills and experience covering a beat. Knowledge of Baltimore and its law enforcement institutions are a plus. We’re looking for a versatile reporter equally adept at breaking news and narrative storytelling. These reporters will be responsible for holding government agencies accountable and shining a spotlight on problems in the community, while also reporting out solutions to those challenges. The ideal candidates are also collaborative, ambitious and willing to experiment with storytelling in multiple forms on many platforms.
We are a mission-driven organization focused on local news and improving the community. We expect all candidates to believe sincerely in that mission. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive newsroom with positive morale and culture.
- Go beyond the breaking news to tell stories of victims and community.
- Employ data and public records to produce strong accountability coverage of law enforcement agencies, trends and inequality in Baltimore city and county.
- Contribute daily coverage, enterprise stories and long-term projects
- Develop a strong set of sources on the beat to generate scoops and insightful coverage
- Report stories that illuminate how politics and policy can shape crime and law enforcement
- Take live video and photos on occasion
- Represent The Banner in the community as needed -- in person or on television or radio appearances
- Use and understand newsroom analytics to hone and identify coverage that serves readers
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in journalism
- A track record of excellent and accurate reporting
- Familiarity with law enforcement and court records
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Strong ability to use social media to enhance reporting, promote stories and keep in touch with what readers are talking about
- Enthusiasm for news and content that will resonate with readers
- Teamwork and willingness to collaborate with others
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to give and receive constructive feedback
- Willingness to work some nights and weekends as news dictates
- A commitment to upholding journalistic values and ethics
The Venetoulis Institute embraces diversity and inclusion, and we are wholeheartedly committed to being proactive in inspiring a culture of inclusion across our organization. We are dedicated to establishing an organization that reflects the fundamental respect for different ways of working and living, and we assure every employee the opportunity to reach their full potential.