About the Company:
The company is a high profile, well-funded startup that is supported by some of the top names in the media industry. Solely focused on the Baltimore area, they are creating a new paradigm for digital-first, cross-channel local media. Their content will extend across web, mobile (app), radio (terrestrial and satellite) and video (TV and digital). Their vision is to be the leading provider of news and lifestyle content in the Baltimore area.
About the Job:
The Baltimore Banner is looking for reporters to cover Baltimore city, the mayor, and the Baltimore County government.
Reporters should have excellent news judgment, robust reporting and writing skills, and experience covering local government. We’re looking for a versatile reporter who is amazing at building sources, finding scoops, and providing analysis and context for how local policies shape the community. The ideal candidates are collaborative, ambitious, and willing to experiment with storytelling in multiple forms on many platforms.
We are a mission-driven organization focused on local news and improving the community. We expect all candidates to believe sincerely in that mission. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive newsroom with positive morale and culture.
- Go beyond the incremental developments to tell bigger stories about policies, politics, and local services.
- Employ data and public records to produce strong accountability coverage.
- Contribute daily coverage, enterprise stories, and long-term projects
- Develop a strong set of sources on the beat to generate scoops and insightful coverage
- Represent The Banner in the community as needed -- in person or on television or radio appearances
- Use and understand newsroom analytics to hone and identify the coverage that serves readers
- A minimum of 4 years of experience in journalism
- A track record of excellent and accurate reporting
- Familiarity with reporting on local government issues and agencies.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Strong ability to use social media to enhance reporting, promote stories and keep in touch with what readers are talking about
- Enthusiasm for news and content that will resonate with readers
- Teamwork and willingness to collaborate with others
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to give and receive constructive feedback
- Willingness to work some nights and weekends as news dictates
- A commitment to upholding journalistic values and ethics
The Venetoulis Institute embraces diversity and inclusion, and we are wholeheartedly committed to being proactive in inspiring a culture of inclusion across our organization. We are dedicated to establishing an organization that reflects the fundamental respect for different ways of working and living, and we assure every employee the opportunity to reach their full potential.