As Vendia’s Senior Azure Backend / Core Engineer, you’ll own the expansion of Vendia’s innovative, multi-cloud, distributed data platform into Microsoft’s Azure public cloud offering. Partnering with the engineering team and product managers on this mission critical outcome, you’ll be responsible for the scalability, availability, latency, and fault tolerance of our massively multi-tenanted distributed systems. You’ll design, develop, and deliver critical customer-facing functionality, enabling our enterprise users to create applications that share and manage vast amounts of operational data with their business partners in real time. In addition to enabling net-new customer scenarios by expanding Vendia beyond AWS into Microsoft Azure, you’ll also innovate on new services yet to be announced.
Vendia is seeking a Senior Backend / Core Engineer with extensive distributed systems experience in designing, developing, and owning massive, multi-tenanted systems. Qualified candidates will have added “9s” of availability to existing cloud-based services, diagnosed and removed long-tail jitter, and driven industry best practices such as automation and CI/CD pipelines. You should possess a strong customer-centric, product-oriented background with multiple examples of delivering and owning mission-critical, 24x7x365 services end to end, including oncall experience. As the company grows, you will also help recruit, mentor, and scale the engineering team.
Our engineering team is diverse and virtually located; like our product, we span geographies and the following time zones: 00011101000[GMT]000000000100
As an expert Azure Senior Backend / Core Engineer, you will be responsible for:
- Designing and implementing Vendia’s Azure cloud-based, fully managed, server-side architecture, central to the core of Vendia’s real-time distributed data platform.
- Influencing the overall vision of Vendia’s offerings by collaborating with Product and Design teams to create suites of products that help customers manage large volumes of real-time data.
- Implementing best practices, including automation, CI/CD workflows, testing and quality controls, security, performance optimization, and more.
- Partnering with leadership to create engineering roadmaps that balance new features with rapid customer growth and engineering excellence.
- 5+ years experience in software development with Microsoft’s Azure public cloud services, in a distributed engineering role with direct operational responsibility.
- Teaching-level mastery in at least one of the following languages: Python, Java, Go, Node.
- Familiarity with NoSQL databases (e.g. Cosmos DB) and Azure Serverless Services (e.g. Azure Functions, Azure API Management, Azure Active Directory).
- Experienced with industry best practices, including testing frameworks, CI/CD pipelines and OpEx.
- Ability to plan projects, communicate status and deliver results while keeping high quality standards.
- 4 year undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Engineering or, Math.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills.
- Prior experience at a startup or similar fast-paced environment, ideally with cloud-based applications, infrastructure services, and/or enterprise SaaS offerings.
- Experience working with multiple clouds, including two or more of Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, Oracle, SAP, etc.
- Masters, PhD, or other advanced academic degree in Computer Science, Cryptography, or related areas.
- Transparent work products, such as GitHub commits to a well-known open source project.
- Willingness to engage in public speaking/events and perform customer demonstrations and training.
All Engineers at Vendia are culturally well-rounded: You enjoy working on a team, contributing back as much as you learn from others while acknowledging no job is too small or too big. You are relentlessly self critical and data driven, holding yourself to the highest standards. You love all aspects of software development, but you are especially passionate about building tools and platforms that our customers can leverage.
Vendia is creating the world’s fastest and most scalable distributed data platform for transactional workloads. Our cloud-based, SaaS-delivered offerings enable application developers to work with real-time business data, even when that data spans companies, clouds, geographies, or technology stacks. By recreating the speed and ease of a conventional database, we’re tackling the hardest cross-cloud sharing challenges so that our customers can focus on what matters most: their business outcomes.
Our customers span sectors as diverse as Automotive, Food & Beverage, Travel, and Nonprofits. They use Vendia to solve their most challenging data sharing and data integration problems: real-time supply chain and logistics tracking, settlement of physical and digital contracts, consolidating the data needed to drive AI/ML inferencing, and more. Our employees helped create industry-changing services like AWS Lambda… and we’re continuing that tradition at Vendia, with disruptive, innovative technologies that combine the best of Serverless, distributed ledgers, and massively scaled cloud-based services that deliver business value to our customers.
Vendia is a rapidly growing, minority-owned startup headquartered in San Francisco and Seattle, but serving the needs of enterprises around the globe. Our recent $15.5M Series A investment has enabled us to accelerate our vision of multi-party data sharing, and we are growing rapidly. We embrace remote workers but also love interactive development. Our culture is dynamic, with a focus on rapid, iterative delivery and continuous learning from customer engagements. Most importantly, we are a "succeed or fail together" company - everyone here plays nicely with each other, a culture we’ve enshrined in our Kind Humans Policy, and a key requirement for all job applicants.