As Director of Business Development, you will own and drive go-to-market, partner alliances, and channel and sector development across Vendia’s product line. You will work closely with product management, sales, and marketing leaders to identify market opportunities, selling strategies, and sector-specific approaches. You’ll partner closely with your Marketing counterpart to understand buying personas and motivations and to create customized collateral, including use cases and sector-specific sales materials, to accelerate revenue growth. Your experience in one or more critical industries - such as healthcare, financial services, or automotive - will enable you to leverage contacts and develop sector-specific campaigns and playbooks that allow sales teams to rapidly onboard and to create repeated success. Your deep understanding of both the product and the typical buyer dynamics enables you to customize the journey at every stage of the funnel, and to remove sales objections and obstacles through a combination of product feedback, targeted collateral, selling tactics, and customer-specific content. You’ll partner with sales and product management to create go-to-market plays that leverage Vendia’s differentiated value proposition and meet jointly held revenue targets. As a key member of the company’s leadership team, you’ll also help recruit, mentor, and manage across job functions and disciplines.
Vendia is seeking a Director of Business Development who can operate as a player/coach, with the ability and interest to initially drive outcomes directly, but with the managerial experience to eventually grow, mentor, and manage a business development team as the company’s needs expand. This role will report directly to the Chief Business Officer (CBO) and will have key responsibilities for company-level OKRs, including revenue and adoption targets.
Successful candidates for this role will be excited about the prospect of helping companies and developers solve the challenges of sharing and using operational data at scale. A deep empathy for end user and buyer challenges is a must, balanced with a strategic understanding of Vendia’s business objectives and possessing the drive and know-how to open new markets from scratch for a technical product offering. Demonstrated experience developing new markets or sectors for cloud-based services is highly desirable. Candidates must possess exceptional communication skills and a proactive approach to customer sales.
We are a virtual company seeking employees who can operate within +/- 5 hours of the US Pacific Time Zone.
As Director of Business Development, you will be responsible for:
- Identifying New Selling Opportunities and Motions - Your broad and deep comprehension of the enterprise software market, data-related products and services, and competitive offerings enables you to identify under-served opportunities for Vendia to sell into. You possess the analytic tools to perform qualitative and quantitative evaluation of prospective strategies and offerings, as well as the ability to articulate programs and execute them.
- Developing New Market Segments and Go-to-Market Motions - You create a continuous feedback loop between the R&D teams and customers to steer product development, sales enablement, and product placement into new markets. This can include extending existing products and services into new segments and sectors as well as the creation of entirely new offerings. You have a keen understanding of the buying cycle, buyer personas, buyer journey, and purchasing motivations, and you can translate your understanding into pricing structure, demand generation, and selling tactics that enable field personnel to be successful in achieving revenue targets. You use data-driven insights gleaned from marketing and sales operations data to drive your understanding, inform executive leadership, and continuously optimize go-to-market strategies.
- Collateral Creation - Your deep understanding of Vendia’s products and capabilities enables you to quickly create world-class, customer-facing sales collateral for all pipeline stages from early awareness (“top of funnel”) through late-stage sales enablement (“pre-sales”). You can compose and present customer-specific TCO, pricing analyses, and benefits presentations and whitepapers. You routinely create materials to train and educate the sales force and facilitate their outcomes. You create and contribute to the website and other marketing materials to help drive top-of-funnel activity, especially around customer use cases, case studies, logo acquisition, and other customer-centric elements.
- SI & ISV Partnerships - You drive revenue, adoption, and relationships through your direct engagements with customers but also through partners, and are able to effectively recruit, engage, and deploy “sell-with” and “sell-through” partners, such as SIs and resellers. You have strong relationships with CSPs through programs such as APN on AWS and leverage them to drive revenue.
- Executive Sales Evangelism - Your ability to communicate orally and in writing and your ability to frame complex topics for easy consumption and comprehension make you a natural fit to “pitch” to CxOs, LOB leaders, and other executive decision makers. You advance the state of sales and can engage at all levels of the funnel, from early interest through deal closing. You continuously produce white papers, website and blog content, and social media posts designed to address potential selling objections, convert thought leaders, and stimulate sales.
- Sales - As part of a sales “pod” you are committed to helping achieve quota and driving revenue for the company in addition to your programmatic responsibilities.
- IC-to-Leader Path / Player+Coach Mentality - You are detail oriented and programmatic in your approach, able to drive all the above activities initially as an IC, but can eventually scale yourself by hiring and coordinating teams as the company grows. You are adept at recruiting, hiring, managing, and mentoring diverse and geographically dispersed teams.
- 8+ years experience as product manager, product marketing manager, business development leader, consultant, or equivalent role, with direct customer engagement and executive-level interactions in one or more of the following verticals:
- Financial Services
- Food and Beverage
- Healthcare / Life Sciences / Pharmaceuticals
- Public Sector
- Travel and Hospitality
- Consumer Products / ecommerce
- Information Technology
- 4+ years of team leadership and management, including hiring and performance management
- Successful track record selling, developing channels, or crafting go-to-market strategies for commercial B2B software products, including new products and feature releases, in a high growth environment
- 4-year undergraduate degree from a US-accredited college or university, or the equivalent international degree, in Computer, Engineering, or Mathematics
- MBA or equivalent job experience
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use data-driven analysis to create, monitor, and optimize demand gen programs
- Experience developing sales outcomes for public cloud-based services, especially those with a SaaS/PaaS form factor
- Prior experience in quota-carrying enterprise sales
- Startup experience
Vendia is creating the world’s fastest and most scalable distributed data platform for transactional workloads. Our cloud-based, SaaS-delivered offerings enable application developers to work with real-time business data, even when that data spans companies, clouds, geographies, or technology stacks. By recreating the speed and ease of a conventional database, we’re tackling the hardest cross-cloud sharing challenges so that our customers can focus on what matters most: their business outcomes.
Our customers span sectors as diverse as Automotive, Food & Beverage, Travel, and Nonprofits. They use Vendia to solve their most challenging data sharing and data integration problems: real-time supply chain and logistics tracking, settlement of physical and digital contracts, consolidating the data needed to drive AI/ML inferencing, and more. Our employees helped create industry-changing services like AWS Lambda… and we’re continuing that tradition at Vendia, with disruptive, innovative technologies that combine the best of Serverless, distributed ledgers, and massively scaled cloud-based services that deliver business value to our customers.
Vendia is a rapidly growing, minority-owned startup headquartered in San Francisco and Seattle, but serving the needs of enterprises around the globe. Our recent $15.5M Series A investment has enabled us to accelerate our vision of multi-party data sharing, and we are growing rapidly. We embrace remote workers but also love interactive development. Our culture is dynamic, with a focus on rapid, iterative delivery and continuous learning from customer engagements. Most importantly, we are a "succeed or fail together" company - everyone here plays nicely with each other, a culture we’ve enshrined in our Kind Humans Policy, and a key requirement for all job applicants.