Velodyne lidar provides smart, powerful lidar solutions for autonomy and driver assistance. Headquartered in San Jose, CA, Velodyne is known worldwide for its broad portfolio of breakthrough lidar sensor technologies.
We are seeking a self-motivated Staff Systems Engineer to join our Engineering Group in developing and characterizing exciting new Lidar technology and products. Our lidar technology has revolutionized perception and detectability for automotive, new mobility, mapping, robotics, and security applications. It is utterly important to do thorough characterization and validation testing of our Lidars to ensure that we develop and release high performance Lidars that can meet different customer applications; and you will play a key role in it.
Specific Job Requirements:
- Lead Full sensor characterization and specification compliance analysis.
- Spearhead all Engineering activities in System design validation: Define Validation methods and test automation plan, specify data collection metrics and analysis methods in API dashboard, Analyze system performance and host review meetings.
- Design logical and scientific process flows to validate new product or design changes.
- Innovate DOEs to help debug or root cause analysis various internal and external issues throughout product development lifecycle.
- Perform thorough data analysis to draw meaningful conclusions or provide valuable guidance for next phase experiment, design, or process improvement.
- Writeup summary validation report to communicate the results and feedback effectively.
- Proactively interact with Optical, electrical, ASIC and Firmware group stakeholders to understand the system design and working principles to facilitate problem solving.
- Provide technical support to prototype line failures and Engineering phase field returns.
- Coach Junior Engineers and/or Engineering technicians for solid Engineering practice; help them understand and execute test plans efficiently to ensure valid and high-quality data collection and analysis.
Required Education and Experience Requirements:
- Typically requires a minimum of 8 years of related experience with Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Optical Engineering, Physics, or other Engineering field; or 6 years and a Master's degree or a PhD with 3 years experience; or equivalent experience in product development environment.
- Working knowledge of opto-electronic and sensor products in a broad disciplinary setting that includes Electrical circuits, ASICs, Optical and mechanical components, and uses embedded system (FW/FPGA) as the brain to bring everything together in making a functional module.
- Ability to understand system level Lidar/sensor performance.
- In-depth hands-on experience performing bench level testing and characterization of optical and electronic devices across corner cases.
- Proven record of designing and executing logically tight experiments to provide quality data and draw meaningful results.
- Strong problem-solving, diagnosing, and analytical skills.
- Be resourceful and proactive to work efficiently in cross-functional groups, willing to break down barriers and reach across teams to solve problems.
- Strong organization and prioritization skills along with outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Great proficiency in hardware and software tooling that is instrumental for testing and data analysis:
- Equipment: Voltage/Current source and meters, Fast Oscilloscope, heating/cooling equipment, Optical power meter, attenuator, integrating sphere
- JMP, Excel, Power Point, Python, MATLAB
- Direct TOF Lidar development and testing experience is a big plus
- Working knowledge of sensor, transceiver or semiconductor manufacturing process is a bonus: wiring and gluing, packaging, active alignment, in process monitoring and control, end of line functional test.
Velodyne is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, age or other legally protected status.
Note to all recruitment agencies: Velodyne Lidar does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our career page or any Velodyne employees. Velodyne is not responsible for any fees related to any unsolicited resumes.