Velodyne Lidar provides smart, powerful lidar solutions for autonomous vehicles, driver assistance, delivery solutions, robotics, navigation, mapping, and more. Headquartered in San Jose, Calif., Velodyne is known worldwide for its portfolio of breakthrough lidar sensor technologies. As a market leader, Velodyne has served more than 300 customers including nearly all of the leading global automotive original equipment manufacturers. We are looking for a hands-on Head of Product Design at Velodyne LiDAR San Jose to lead and mentor a team of optical and mechanical engineers in a fast-paced environment to lead mechanical product design and development to meet key business needs.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Lead and grow the electro-mechanical product design and engineering team responsible for design, development, integration, and implementation of new products from engineering samples to high volume production using our product lifecycle (EV/DV/PV/MP) framework. Collaborate with cross functional engineering leads to innovate, assess tradeoffs and converge on robust LIDAR product designs.
- Define objectives, metrics, and key results for the product design org and drive results. Develop leadership qualities in team through active coaching, evaluate performance and provide timely feedback, create growth opportunities, and foster a culture that promotes good grassroots decision making.
- Develop resource plans by proactively identifying needs. Align talent and tasks to accomplish projects in a timely manner.
- Drive a culture of using engineering simulations, tolerance analysis, DFx, FMEA’s etc. to improve performance, quality, and cost and well as follow engineering best practices.
- Actively participate in and drive design reviews. Sign off on designs, drawings, ECO’s and test reports to meet phase gate requirements and successfully launch products.
- Collaborate with Lidar architecture and technology development teams to help demonstrate proof of concept and proof of scalability for our next generation programs as well as support sustaining activities and enhancement of existing products. Facilitate performance and reliability testing of all products through EVT/DVT/PVT qualification. Help develop test methods and equipment as necessary to execute.
Minimum Education, Experience and Knowledge Requirements:
- 10+ years of strong product development experience with customer-facing electro-mechanical product design and development. Experience in sensor and optics is a plus.
- 4 years of progressive experience managing engineering teams with 7+ direct reports in a high tech fast-paced environment.
Required Education, Experience and Knowledge Requirements:
- Materials: plastics and metals, manufacturing, rapid prototyping, 3D printing.
- PCBs: design and production.
- Connectors: automotive and industrial.
- Motors / electro-mechanical components: design and development.
- Vendors: establish/managing relationship and task execution.
- You are a Solidworks PDM expert.
- You are an effective communicator, strong problem solver and have ability to think at a high level, but comfortable diving deep into details.
- You have demonstrated success in launching automotive/industrial electro-mechanical products into high volume (from 10k to 500k+/year) through contract manufacturing or internal plant environments.
- You have frequently applied analysis techniques such as Failure Modes and Effect Analysis (FMEA), Root cause analysis, Tolerance analysis, DFx etc at different phases of product development.
- You are willing to travel domestically and internationally (less than 25%)
- B.S. in Electrical/Mechanical/Aerospace or other relevant Engineering. M.S./Ph.D. preferred.
Note to all recruitment agencies: Velodyne Lidar does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our career page or any Velodyne employees. Velodyne is not responsible for any fees related to any unsolicited resumes.