Does raising the standard of daily living by designing advanced products that make life healthier, safer, easier - and more beautiful - sound exciting and meaningful to you? Are you ready to shape the future of smart kitchens and baths?
Our client creates world-leading water technology and innovative kitchen and bath products that make better homes a reality for everyone, everywhere. Their products touch the lives of over one billion people every day, and they’re eager to do so much more. By combining meaningful design, an entrepreneurial spirit, a dedication to improving accessibility for all, and responsible business growth, they make things that truly matter – to people, to communities, and to the world we live in.
Our client’s Global Design & Consumer Experience organization fosters cross-pollination across their studios in the US, Europe, and Asia to design and develop products and solutions. They are looking for a Design Director (DD) who is passionate about improving the quality of people's lives through compelling design experiences. The DD will apply Human-Centered Design to the creation of innovative concepts, products, and experiences for a wide range of products. They will work closely with the Head of Design on strategic projects and will keep abreast of macro and industry (and industry-adjacent) trends to inspire and guide the creative team's design development. The DD will bring products from concept through production and will collaborate closely with Marketing and Engineering teams. They will collaborate with designers in many disciplines from all over the world and will apply their skills in ideation, concept visualization, and creativity - in form, color, material, and finish - to help the company’s brands and products stay at the forefront of the industry.
The DD will:
- Create meaningful solutions and experiences that exceed customers’ expectations, meet brand needs, and balance functional, aesthetic, and cost objectives
- Work cross-functionally with Insights, Engineering, Advanced Concepts, Product Marketing, Purchasing, and Manufacturing, to achieve new, world-class product designs
- Collaborate closely with manufacturing partners to ensure on-time delivery and to achieve high quality standards in both design and manufacturing
- Lead project teams from concept through implementation
- Manage project schedules, budgets, and resources, collaborating with product marketing, engineering, and program management throughout
- Conduct research into macro-trends, product design trends, competitor product offerings, and others, and will leverage discoveries to guide design
- Guide the Insight team to conduct ethnographic design research projects that lead to a rich understanding of consumers, extracting and translating insights into design briefs
- Participate in/lead the creation of a strong product pipeline based on consumer insights and integrating inputs from the Innovation, Consumer Insight, and Marketing teams
- Participate in the overall management of the Design department (staffing, schedules, budget), aligning Department goals with category goals
- Mentor, train, advise, and provide design and technical guidance to other designers
- Maintain a deep knowledge of the kitchen and bath industry and knowledge of adjacent industries (consumer electronics, furniture design, etc.)
- Bachelor's degree in Industrial Design or related field of study, with a specialization in User/Human-Centered Design
- 10+ years’ experience in industrial design
- Strong portfolio demonstrating thought and design process and an understanding of the steps needed to design and actualize an experience
- Excellent form development skills - understanding of 3D form in terms of aesthetic, details, proportions and various styles
- Mastery of relevant 3D and 2D CAD tools (Solidworks or Pro E, Keyshot, Adobe Creative Suite)
- Ability to travel up to 20-30% of the time.
- Experience designing electro-mechanical systems with significant user interface elements a strong plus.
- Medical device experience a plus.
Candidates for positions with our client company must be legally authorized to work in the US on a permanent basis. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.