Our client was the original Silicon Valley startup and is currently a multi-billion dollar tech powerhouse, operating in 170 countries. Throughout its history, it has been inventing modern technologies and first-of-kind products that have helped generations of people around the world work, play, and live. And they continue to be as committed to invention and re-invention as they are to contributing to the communities and countries in which they operate. They nurture a culture of uncompromising integrity, trust, and respect where diversity is a cornerstone of innovation and where people are encouraged to chart their destinies by exploring different opportunities for professional growth.
Our client’s human-centered design organization brings the voice of the user to every conversation to design the future of their industry. With teams in the US, Europe, and Asia, they support all segments of the company in all markets they serve. They are expanding capabilities and seeking design leaders as they scale their teams of best-in-class (UX, interaction, visual, and industrial) designers globally.
They are looking for a Senior UX Design Manager (SUDM) to play a pivotal role in their digital transformation. The SUDM will take the lead on transforming their signature app into a robust engagement platform that will deepen customer relationships by introducing users to new features and services, among other experiences. In addition to charting the course for the future, they will work across the Design organization, and with colleagues in R&D, Software Development, Product Management, and Director and VP-level leaders across the business to meet the immediate demands of shipping product to a global market of millions. The SUDM will provide leadership to a distributed and growing multidisciplinary team, empowering and mentoring them and providing them with the operating model, infrastructure, tools, and energizing environment to enable them to do their best work. With combined business, technology, and design acumen, along with strong communication and operational skills, they will build relationships of trust throughout the organization.
The SUDM will:
- Lead the design and development of differentiated, innovative, personalized app experiences that connect devices, solutions and services across all categories, in all markets, and across all platforms and that drive user engagement and loyalty.
- Partner with Marketing, R&D, Quality, Support and Operations teams to build best-in-class experiences.
- Lead and harness the talents of a diverse design team through experience development cycles – from ideation though delivery - within a complex environment.
- Cultivate values and team creativity, nurture and mentor talent, and create the best environment for designers to grow and thrive.
- Manage design operations and resources within scope, budget and schedule to provide efficiency and effectiveness while achieving design objectives.
- Establish frameworks to measure business success from the perspective of the user.
- Assess current and planned roadmaps and recommend innovative and creative solutions, work with the Advanced Design team to integrate new experience concepts into overall planning.
The SUDM has experience:
- Successfully delivering experiences across multiple platforms at scale, with an emphasis on mobile
- Fostering a culture of innovative thinking; attracting and retaining a diverse community of talent with a strong bias towards development and career growth, and providing the operational framework for a design community to thrive
- Anticipating and leading people through change
- Applying business acumen to challenges and developing solutions that reflect solid judgment
- Collaborating and influencing throughout a global, matrixed organization
- Making compelling business cases based on data-backed insights of customer domain markets
- Designing and delivering products and solutions for an enterprise industry, or industries with products that are used by millions
The ideal candidate will be/have:
- Curiosity and courage to push boundaries, question the status quo, and provide alternatives in a constructive and inspiring way
- Patience to meet the organization and individuals where they are in their journey of understanding user-centered design and decision making
- A servant leader, who is motivated to build culture and community by providing the structure, care, mentorship, and development others need to flourish
- Strong business acuity - can gain a deep understanding of business needs (and balance them with user needs)
- The tech chops to have meaningful and productive conversations with knowledgeable tech colleagues.
- A clear and influential communicator and storyteller, who can balance empathy with conviction, gain trust, develop fruitful relationships, drive consensus, and motivate an organization toward change
- Agility to navigate complexity - of environments, situations, and discussions
- Results-oriented, able to provide the framework to measure success and the drive to meet objectives
- A growth mindset, thriving on challenge and seeing failure as a springboard for growth and stretching abilities
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in Human Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Cognitive Science, Industrial Design, or other Design-related field
- Proven ability to lead a global team of creatives
- 5+ years or design leadership
- 3+ years of experience managing globally distributed teams
- Experience in IoT devices
- Experience in enterprise app development
- Experience with subscriptions and/or other services
- Experience with data and analytics for testing large-scale deployment
Candidates for this position at our client company must be legally authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Our client is reinventing the standard for diversity, equity, and inclusion. By valuing differences — whether race, ethnicity, gender, nationality, ability, military status, religion, generation, sexual orientation, or views — our client engages top industry talent to drive the company’s long-term success. As an equal opportunity employer, our client considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.