Our client was the original Silicon Valley startup and is currently a multi-billion dollar tech powerhouse, operating in 170 countries. Throughout its history, it has been inventing modern technologies and first-of-kind products - from the first personal computer and first wearable to the first wireless mouse - that have helped generations of people around the world work, play, and live. And they continue to be as committed to invention and re-invention as they are to contributing to the communities and countries in which they operate. Its charitable foundation develops creative initiatives to address the digital divide and supports technology-related learning, charitable giving, volunteering, and disaster relief. They nurture a culture of uncompromising integrity, trust, and respect where diversity is a cornerstone of innovation and where people are encouraged to chart their destinies by exploring different opportunities for professional growth.
Our client’s human-centered design organization brings the voice of the user to every conversation to design the future of their industry. With teams in the US, Europe, and Asia, they support all segments of the company in all markets they serve. They are expanding capabilities and seeking design leaders as they scale their teams of best-in-class (UX, interaction, visual, and industrial) designers globally.
They are looking for a Design Research Manager to play a pivotal role in their organization, providing leadership to a fast-growing, global Research team that furnishes insights that inspire creativity and action. The DRM will grow and energize the team; author best practices and processes; and foster fruitful relationships within the design organization and with business and external partners. They will build the research engine that will provide the rich understanding of users needed to design and deliver brilliant experiences.
The DRM will:
- Mentor the team to inspire the creation of user-centric, increasingly digital, experiences for all product and service programs, addressing the needs of a multitude of audiences.
- Identify opportunities to improve Research practice, processes, and people, including optimizing operations.
- Be the thought leader for Research across the full spectrum of methods spanning generative and evaluative, qualitative and quantitative.
- Lead synthesis, distillation, and advocacy of insights to energize multidisciplinary project teams to act.
- Serve as a strategic partner and advisor to the businesses, collaborating with them to envision their futures.
- Manage both internal (business managers, program managers) and external (partners, suppliers) relationships.
- Manage multiple ongoing projects.
The ideal candidate will be/have:
- An expert in discovery with an intense curiosity and a strong passion for their craft, who loves the problem not the solution
- An influential communicator and storyteller, who can balance empathy and conviction, work through challenges with impassioned colleagues, and make user-centered insights resonate with decision-makers
- A growth mindset, thriving on challenge and seeing failure as a springboard for growth and stretching abilities
- Strong business acuity - can gain a deep understanding of business needs, represent insights to the business, and provide actionable and provocative directions that influence strategy
- The agility to helicopter between high-level strategic discussions and decision-making and get-it-done tactics
- A servant leader, who is motivated to build culture and community by providing the structure, care, mentorship, and development others need to flourish
- Experience managing research in design organizations at global, matrixed, and complex tech corporations, preferably those which are on years-long transformation journeys and which provide everyday tech and digital services, and/or in design-driven consulting firms who advise them
- Experience guiding a team on its journey from strategic intent to implementation and leading effectively through tremendous change
- Strong understanding of a variety of research methods, including ethnography, interviews, surveys, focus groups and usability tests
- Strong leadership skills, including coaching, team building, and conflict resolution, and managing across geographies
- Advanced project management skills including project structuring and time, risk and resource management
- Persuasive communication skills, including presentation, influencing, and negotiation skills
- Business acumen, technical knowledge, and extensive knowledge in applications and technologies
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Human Computer Interaction, Design, Human Factors Engineering, Social Sciences research, or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of related work experience
- 2+ years of people management experience
Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Our client is an equal opportunity employer. They consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.