VaynerMedia LA is looking for a self-starter, a team player, and someone with infectious energy for developing people, relationship building, cultivating great culture and being part of a superstar team.
Who Are You
The People & Experience Director is both a strategic and hands-on role that provides full cycle Human Resources support to our Los Angeles team. The role is critical in executing our people initiatives, providing great employee support, and driving HR functional excellence and process improvement, as an extension from the NYC headquarters. We are looking for someone who has vast experience in recruitment and talent acquisition and knows both the agency and media landscape of Los Angeles.
This position will report into the SVP of People & Experience based in New York and will be part of a team that deeply cares for one another, works harmoniously together and all share in the values of the company and desire to be the best in the world - all while ensuring we are having fun!
The Task at Hand
Be prepared for one of the most meaningful and purposeful career experiences you can have. You will be tasked with delivering core HR services and taking a true partnership approach to your work, consistently bridging department needs with that of the broader company. You will provide objective advice regarding complex issues and coach managers on best practices including talent acquisition and retention, professional development, performance management, culture, and career development.
- Relationships: Cultivate and nurture strong relationships with key stakeholders, other internal teams, and most importantly within P.E.T. to become a trusted advisor.
- Talent: You know where to look for exceptional talent in the LA Market and how to close them
- Operations: Measure and monitor existing programs and experiences. Partner with the rest of the team in addition to external specialists to execute global strategic initiatives and priorities within the organization. This may include performance management, leadership development and 360 reviews, compensation planning, policy development and compliance, and terminations. While you will have operational support, you are someone who will roll their sleeves up and dive into the most mundane of tasks!
- Strategy: Partner with leaders, managers and individuals to identify broad, chronic organizational challenges or opportunities. Craft and implement strategies to address everything from workforce planning and compensation budgets, to talent management and succession planning, reward and engagement strategies to performance management, and staffing strategies and organizational design. You will be the connector across other functions creating a seamless experience across the employee lifecycle.
- Coach, Inspire, Mediate: Ability to design and implement innovative and engaging programs to drive the evolution of the functions you support. This may include individual coaching for leaders on best practices to improve their people management skills, career and job coaching, and navigating conflict within teams.
- Emergency Response: Generally speaking, our role is to be proactive. We strive to anticipate issues before they arise, and to create short and long-term plans for our organization. But stuff happens … We really don’t like emergencies, but when they happen you should know how to handle them quickly, discreetly, and with grace. You leverage your deep knowledge of employment law, compliance and best practice to mitigate risks to individual employees and VM.
This is anything but your standard “HR Business Partner” role. This role is about human to human connection. You’ll be the leader and guardian of our most prized assets: people. From recruitment to performance and productivity and culture, a lot of very important things will rest on your shoulders. The ideal candidate will have meaningful experience in a strategic HR Business Partner role.
Your knowledge and experience are both broad and deep from employment law and best practices to talent management. Exposure to design of performance management and/or compensation philosophies and approaches welcomed.
Fine Print: Must be proficient in the use of business software (Excel, KeyNote, PowerPoint, Gsuite etc.) Familiarity with ADP, Greenhouse and other HR reporting tools. Coaching certification and prior experience in professional services or technology/creative environment is a plus.
What leads to success in this role:
- Lead heart first, care deeply about both people and outcomes
- Put your relationships at the forefront of everything you do
- Have a strong interest and ability in HR analytics and leveraging data to inform decisions
- Genuine belief in bringing your full self to what you do every day, see “work” as a calling and a passion
- Have the ability to work independently in a dynamic, fast paced environment
- Are comfortable facilitating executives, coming to the table with a point of view and simultaneously advocating and advising more junior talent
- Are a creative self-starter who prides themselves on their grit and resourcefulness
- Exercise sound judgment and discretion
- Loves dad jokes
- Are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills
- Are detail oriented with excellent organizational, prioritization and multitasking skills
- Are an analytical problem solver with experience and proven accomplishments in a global highly matrixed org
- Are adept and comfortable managing through frequent change, and are a ninja in your stakeholder management
- Have a desire to take ownership and accountability for work and manage projects through execution
- Strong people manager, adaptive approach to coaching and growing your direct reports, desire to understand their drivers and reward/recognize in line with their motivators
- 100% knowledgable of California Labor Laws.
Additional required experience:
- Performance Management experience: Manage 360 peer reviews process, employee feedback and work to find solutions with performance issues
- Managing recruitment process including advertising, sourcing, and coordinating interview process. You will liaise with the NY talent team with this responsibility
- General understanding and experience with compensation, benefits and payroll. Will work with NYC Director of Benefits and finance teams for on the ground support
- Experience managing onboarding process, departures, terminations and restructuring
Desirable skills and experience
- Previous Agency experience strongly preferred
- 10 years of work experience in Recruitment and HR preferred
- Previous experience of large company process and tech start-up (ideally advertising)
- Previous experience of developing employee retention and engagement initiatives, in line with company culture and values
- Enjoys innovation and change
- Driven to seek novel and agile solutions to challenges
- Knowledge and experience of using (and implementing) HR Software tools
- A flexible and collaborative team member with enormous emotional intelligence
- Approachable with high integrity
- Comfortable with start-up culture
- Can hit the ground running
- International experience