At Vast, our mission is to contribute to a future where billions of people are living and thriving in space. We are building artificial gravity space stations, allowing long-term stays in space without the adverse effects of zero-gravity. Our initial crewed space habitat will be Haven-1, scheduled to be the world’s first commercial space station when it launches into low earth orbit in August 2025. Our team is all-in, committed to executing our mission safely and on time. If you want to work with the most talented people on Earth furthering space exploration for humanity, come join us.
Vast is looking for a Government Affairs Manager to join our team in Washington, DC. This exempt role is responsible for U.S. Legislative and Executive Branch outreach and related engagements to support Vast’s strategic policy objectives. You will have the opportunity to work cross-functionally across the company (with Legal, Business Development, Engineering, etc.) and grow the company’s government affairs function.
- Engage directly with relevant Congressional offices and Executive Branch agencies and offices (including NASA, NSpC, OMB, OSTP, etc.) in support of Vast’s policy objectives
- Research, analyze, and track relevant legislation, rulemakings, and other federal government actions that may affect the company
- Prepare briefing materials, talking points, and related work product in support of the company’s policy objectives
- Attend and report on relevant hearings, conferences, and events
- Work closely with Vast’s business development function and legal/regulatory function in support of developing advocacy positions and objectives
- Participate in Vast’s trade association forums to support the company’s objectives
- Coordinate and manage efforts with Vast’s external government affairs advisors
- 4+ years of professional experience in government affairs
- Registered lobbyist
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience working on commercial human spaceflight programs and policies
- Proven ability to adapt to rapidly changing priorities and schedules with ease and grace
- Ability to simplify complex concepts into straightforward and concise explanations
- Comfortable operating outside of areas of expertise and in new territory
- Excellent communication, analytical, collaboration, and interpersonal skills
- Self-starter with excellent time-management and prioritization skills
Government Affairs Manager III: $115,000 - $160,000
Sr. Government Affairs Manager IV: $135,000 - $181,000
U.S. EXPORT CONTROL COMPLIANCE STATUSThe person hired will have access to information and items subject to U.S. export controls, and therefore, must either be a “U.S. person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.62 or otherwise eligible for deemed export licensing. This status includes U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, lawful permanent residents (green card holders), and asylees and refugees with such status granted, not pending.