At Vast, our mission is to contribute to a future where billions of people are living and thriving in space. We are building artificial gravity space stations, allowing long-term stays in space without the adverse effects of zero-gravity. Our initial crewed space habitat will be Haven-1, scheduled to be the world’s first commercial space station when it launches into low earth orbit in August 2025. Our team is all-in, committed to executing our mission safely and on time. If you want to work with the most talented people on Earth furthering space exploration for humanity, come join us.
Vast is looking for a Manager of Avionics Manufacturing, reporting to the Director of Manufacturing, to support the development of the systems that will be required for the design and build of artificial-gravity human-rated space stations. This will be a full-time, exempt position located in our Long Beach location.
- Strategic Planning: Develop and execute a strategic vision for avionics manufacturing operations aligned with the company's overall goals and objectives. Identify key performance indicators (KPIs) and establish plans to achieve operational targets.
- Team Leadership: Manage a team of manufacturing professionals, including supervisors, engineers, technicians, and support staff. Provide guidance, mentorship, and support to foster a high-performing and collaborative work environment.
- Manufacturing Process Optimization: Continuously improve manufacturing processes and workflows to enhance productivity, efficiency, and quality. Implement lean manufacturing principles and other industry best practices to streamline operations and reduce waste.
- Quality Assurance: Establish and maintain stringent quality control processes to ensure the highest level of product quality and reliability. Implement quality management systems, conduct audits, and oversee corrective and preventive actions to address non-conformances.
- Resource Management: Efficiently allocate resources, including manpower, equipment, and materials, to meet production demands while controlling costs. Identify and implement cost-saving initiatives without compromising quality or safety.
- Supply Chain Collaboration: Collaborate with the supply chain team to ensure timely availability of materials and components required for manufacturing operations. Develop and maintain strong relationships with suppliers to ensure continuity of the supply chain.
- Compliance and Safety: Ensure compliance with all relevant regulatory requirements, industry standards, and safety protocols. Implement and maintain a robust safety program to protect employees and maintain a safe working environment.
- Continuous Improvement: Foster a culture of continuous improvement within the manufacturing organization. Encourage innovation, implement new technologies, and explore automation opportunities to enhance efficiency and competitiveness.
- Performance Monitoring and Reporting: Develop and monitor key performance indicators to track the progress of manufacturing operations. Prepare regular reports and presentations for senior management, highlighting performance, challenges, and opportunities for improvement.
- Stakeholder Engagement: Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including engineering, procurement, quality assurance, and program management, to ensure effective coordination and communication across departments. Engage with customers, suppliers, and external stakeholders as needed to address their requirements and concerns.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, manufacturing, or a related field
- 5+ years of experience in avionics manufacturing operations, including senior leadership roles
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Masters degree in an engineering or manufacturing field
- In-depth knowledge of aerospace manufacturing processes, quality standards, and regulatory requirements
- Proven track record of driving operational excellence, process optimization, and cost reduction initiatives
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to inspire and motivate teams
- Excellent problem-solving and decision-making abilities
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with lean manufacturing principles and continuous improvement methodologies
- Proficiency in using manufacturing software systems and tools
- Wide network of suppliers and component manufacturers to assist with building a supply base
- Familiarity with all required capital equipment and skill sets necessary for manufacturing avionics
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time
- Willingness to work evenings and/or weekends to support critical mission milestones
- Ability to lift up to 25lbs unassisted
- Specific certifications, as appropriate
- Manager of Avionics Manufacturing: $125,700 - $180,800
U.S. EXPORT CONTROL COMPLIANCE STATUSThe person hired will have access to information and items subject to U.S. export controls, and therefore, must either be a “U.S. person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.62 or otherwise eligible for deemed export licensing. This status includes U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, lawful permanent residents (green card holders), and asylees and refugees with such status granted, not pending.