At Vast, our mission is to contribute to a future where billions of people are living and thriving in space. We are building artificial gravity space stations, allowing long-term stays in space without the adverse effects of zero-gravity. Our initial crewed space habitat will be Haven-1, scheduled to be the world’s first commercial space station when it launches into low earth orbit in August 2025. Our team is all-in, committed to executing our mission safely and on time. If you want to work with the most talented people on Earth furthering space exploration for humanity, come join us.
Vast is looking for a Hardware Development Engineer, reporting to the Senior R&D Engineer, to support the development of the systems that will be required for the design and build of artificial-gravity human-rated space stations. This will be a full-time, exempt position located in our Long Beach location.
The Haven Development team is dedicated to transforming space access for humanity, aiming to pave the way for new frontiers in the cosmos and ultimately fostering a multi-planetary existence. Our team takes pride in crafting cutting-edge mechanisms, systems, and electronics. We push the boundaries of space technology with an unprecedented cost and pace. Join our dynamic and top-tier hardware development team, collaborate with brilliant and driven engineers, and together, we will accomplish remarkable feats. If you crave challenges and dream of contributing to our civilization's multi-planetary future, then look no further – this is the perfect place for you!
- Take full ownership of new development projects that support near-term & long-term space habitats
- Rapidly design, develop and test systems to support quicker production cycles of space habitats
- Drive research and analysis while collaborating with software, mechanical, thermal, manufacturing teams and production test teams.
- Manage deliverables that range from singular case studies & analysis, to building & instrumenting full complex test environments.
- Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, or other engineering discipline
- Experience driving complex projects from cradle to grave
- Working knowledge of all supporting engineering disciplines (i.e. Mechanically strong but knows how to wire and code, or Control Electronics focused but knows CAD & can create machine drawings)
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- 2+ years of professional experience rapidly designing and delivering highly reliable products.
- 2+ years of professional experience testing, troubleshooting and debugging mechanical and electrical issues.
- 2+ years of professional experience with fast-paced projects.
- Hands-on skills (Wiring, Machining, Soldering, Fabricating, 3D Printing)
- Understanding and programming languages (Python, C/C++).
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly cross-functional role.
- Ability to work in a fast paced & autonomously driven start-up atmosphere.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Passion for building/testing & driven to create something from very little/nothing.
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry and human spaceflight.
- Willingness to work evenings and/or weekends to support critical mission milestones
- Ability to lift up to 25lbs unassisted
- Hardware Development Engineer Level I: $80,000-$110,000
- Hardware Development Engineer Level II: $100,000-$145,000
U.S. EXPORT CONTROL COMPLIANCE STATUSThe person hired will have access to information and items subject to U.S. export controls, and therefore, must either be a “U.S. person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.62 or otherwise eligible for deemed export licensing. This status includes U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, lawful permanent residents (green card holders), and asylees and refugees with such status granted, not pending.