At Vast, our mission is to contribute to a future where billions of people are living and thriving in space. We are building artificial gravity space stations, allowing long-term stays in space without the adverse effects of zero-gravity. Our initial crewed space habitat will be Haven-1, scheduled to be the world’s first commercial space station when it launches into low earth orbit in August 2025. Our team is all-in, committed to executing our mission safely and on time. If you want to work with the most talented people on Earth furthering space exploration for humanity, come join us.
Vast is looking for an Avionics Design Engineer, reporting to the SVP of Engineering Projects. As an Avionics Design Engineer, you will be responsible for developing, testing, and maintaining avionics hardware for our state-of-the-art commercial space station.
This will be a full-time, exempt position located in our Long Beach location.
- Partner with software, mechanical, thermal, manufacturing teams to rapidly design, develop and test highly reliable electronics for our state-of-the-art commercial space station.
- Perform component selection, design analysis, schematic capture, circuit board design, prototyping, board bring up, debugging, circuit validation, and design documentation for electrical designs.
- Analyze and troubleshoot electronic assemblies, define new processes, design circuits/fixtures/tools, and identify opportunities for improvement in both products and processes.
- Support or act as responsible engineer for flight hardware, from conception through build, qualification, flight integration, and ultimately flight operations.
- Support build and process improvement through troubleshooting build problems and work to simplify and streamline recurring work to enable higher reliability of the avionics hardware.
- Support mission operations by providing real-time input during flight, completing data reviews, monitoring hardware performance, and working with partners to simplify operation of our avionics systems.
- Work with experts from other teams and departments to ensure that fielded systems perform their function while being efficient, manufacturable, and reliable.
- Define acceptance testing and qualification requirements of new and existing hardware, perform development and qualification testing to prove out design, and formally document test results.
- Travel to launch sites for testing and/or operations.
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or other engineering discipline.
- 1+ years of experience with avionics design, analysis, and/or unit level testing.
- Experience with avionics test equipment such as oscilloscopes, multimeters, current probes.
- Experience with analog, digital, or mixed signal multi-layer PCB design.
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Experience with PCBA design and Altium or similar software.
- Comfortable communicating technical topics to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to creatively solve problems and weigh against multi-disciplinary requirements together while assessing risk and making design and development decisions.
- Understanding of electrical schematics and electronics manufacturing to analyze and improve test coverage.
- Hands-on experience with sizing, installing and troubleshooting various electronic components.
- Experience with wire harness design and build, including associated sub-components.
- Experience with NX or similar CAD software.
- Competence with electrical test equipment (multimeters, oscilloscopes, network analyzers, power supplies, etc.)
- Creative problem solver that can bring multiple disciplines together with the ability to assess risk and make design and development decisions without all available data.
- Self-motivated with strong learning, multi-tasking, organizational, communication and documentation skills.
- Strong sense of accountability and integrity with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding atmosphere
- Ability to travel up to 10% travel to support launch campaigns.
- Avionics Design Engineer Level I: $95,000-$110,000
- Avionics Design Engineer Level II: $110,000-$145,000
U.S. EXPORT CONTROL COMPLIANCE STATUSThe person hired will have access to information and items subject to U.S. export controls, and therefore, must either be a “U.S. person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.62 or otherwise eligible for deemed export licensing. This status includes U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, lawful permanent residents (green card holders), and asylees and refugees with such status granted, not pending.