Vast was founded to expand humanity's frontier into the solar system and beyond. We believe that the next step on that journey is enabling manufacturing and habitation in LEO. We are building artificial gravity space stations to make this a reality. If you want to join a team that builds amazing things with the most talented people on Earth, please reach out.
About the role:
At Vast, our people are our most valuable asset. We're looking for a skilled People Operations Specialist to join our team and help us attract, develop, and retain the best talent. The ideal candidate will have experience in human resources, recruiting, or talent management. They will coordinate and administer various people operations programs and initiatives. They will also be expected to contribute to continuously improving people operations processes and procedures. You will have plenty of freedom and autonomy to help shape, mold, and influence how People Ops run at Vast. The ideal candidate will be highly organized, will work effectively with both internal & external clients and candidates, and be a strong communicator, all the while having the ability to shift gears at a moment's notice. This is an excellent opportunity for someone looking to get a first-hand look at how companies operate and scale.
- Partner closely with other People functions and People Business Partners to execute HR operational processes and services with a focus on employee experience and data integrity.
- Process employee changes and terminations, including document generation, notifications, and HR systems updates.
- Participate in system testing for new programs, systems, or process rollouts.
- Support with reporting, audit, and data integrity initiatives.
- Be the first point of contact for employee questions and employment verification requests. Escalate issues to other members of the People team, if appropriate.
- As needed, assist with onboarding new hires (system entry, paperwork validation, background check administration).
- Document, maintain, and communicate core HR processes to stakeholders, managers, and employees.
- Identify and drive process improvement efforts, leveraging HR systems to automate and eliminate bottlenecks
- Key system user for HR tech stack (Rippling, Greenhouse, Checkr, Microsoft Office Suite, G-Suite, DocuSign).
- Responsible for developing and maintaining a strong working knowledge of the reporting tools within Rippling and other vendor systems.
- Work collaboratively with:
- People Operations, People Partners, Recruiting and Finance teams
- Global employees of all levels
- Third-party vendors
- Internal and external legal counsel
- Bachelor’s degree in human resource management or related field or equivalent years of experience
- 3+ years experience in an HR, People Operations or related role.
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- A positive attitude and a passion for learning. You understand that everything you do impacts our candidates and internal client groups. No task is too small, and you keep cool under pressure when the work volume is high.
- A desire to make the internal client, employee and manager experience simpler, more pleasant, and more productive is always top of mind for you.
- An eye for scalable solutions and a passion for technology and automation - you are always exploring new systems solutions for you and your team in pursuit of increased efficiency and effectiveness. Solve for the long term.
- An analytical mindset. Data and process are your friends, and you are comfortable navigating Google Sheets and Excel documents.
- Experience working with an HRIS (Rippling experience strongly preferred) and other solutions in the HR tech stack (Rippling, Greenhouse, Checkr, Microsoft Office Suite, G-Suite, DocuSign).
- An obsession with adding value and getting things done with a high level of craftsmanship. You are detail-oriented and triple-check your work before shipping.
- You can easily handle multiple tasks simultaneously with expert organizational skills and an ability to prioritize effectively.
- Discretion — you know how to maintain confidentiality but also recognize what needs to be escalated.
- Ability to function independently and problem-solve with minimal direction.
The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. Currently the base salary range for this position working onsite in the greater Los Angeles area is $80,000.00 - $120,000.00 per year.