Overview of Position
We are looking for a talented Principal Software Engineer to help with our ongoing growth and expansion! Varsity Tutors is a live learning platform that connects students and professionals with personalized instruction to achieve any goal. To date, students have accessed more than three million hours of live instruction on the platform. Experts are available to meet in person or through the company’s award-winning online and mobile platforms, which account for the majority of all learning sessions.
Varsity Tutors recently closed a $50M Series C funding round, bringing its total funding to $107M. The round was led by Learn Capital, with participation from The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative and existing investor TCV. The funds will enable Varsity Tutors to further its vision of seamlessly connecting experts and learners in any subject, anywhere, at any time.
The qualified candidate will be an expert with SOA service architecture and design, creating scalable microservice solutions in a CI/CD cloud environment, and able to provide technical guidance and expertise to a team of 5 engineers efficiently and productively. Demonstrated experience with machine learning or big data processing is a bonus. You will partner with product management, tutor operations, software engineering, and data science teams to deliver business results in a fast-moving engineering team that is building out our next-gen platform for managing, matching, ranking, and assigning tutors to students.
Candidates must be comfortable with pushing through ambiguity and passionate about solving problems across a variety of domains at scale and with speed.
- 10+ years experience with a combination of coding and big data processing
- 5+ years experience with highly concurrent languages such as GoLang, Erlang or Scala
- 3+ years experience leading engineering team’s for 3 or more engineers in the successful delivery of modern architected distributed software systems
- Experience architecting and building SOA microservices for full stack UX and API layers in a cloud based environment, AWS Cloud preferred.
- Experience with event driven architectures and ecosystems
- Experience with NoSQL databases: AWS DynamoDB, Redis, etc.
- Experience with CI/CD deployment systems (e.g. CodeShip, AWS CodeDeploy)
- Experience communicating with both technical and business people including executives. Ability to speak at a level appropriate for the context.
- Familiarity with AWS Services (e.g. RDS, Kinesis, EC2, S3, et cetera)
- Familiarity with the Linux Operating System and command-line tools
- Understanding of OO design, algorithms, and data structures
- Aptitude to quickly learn new languages and technologies as necessary
- Computer Science or related degree
- This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
- Comfortable working with other leaders throughout the organization, not just Engineering, to help move major initiatives forward
- Communicate and operate effectively in a high-visibility role
- Write performant, maintainable code that is easy to read and well-documented
- Write automated tests to thoroughly validate the correctness of your code
- Deploy large-scale web applications
- Have a focus on quality, and operate iteratively to get from good to better
- Be a part of your team’s on-call rotation; we all own our code end-to-end from development to deployment to operations
- Come ready to learn from some of the best and brightest in the industry
- Work independently and collaboratively in a dynamic and fast-moving team
- Healthcare Plans (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life)
- 401k Company Matching Plan
- Flexible hybrid schedule of working from home and in-office
- PTO, Paid Holidays, Floating Holiday
- VTO ("volunteer time off" to do community service/charity work)
- 52 hours of Free Learning Sessions per year for you or immediate family members
Varsity Tutors is proud to be an equal opportunity employer! We will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of age, race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, medical condition, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status or civil partnership/union status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, childbirth, genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local law. Varsity Tutors will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with local and federal requirements. (INDHP)