Department: Medical/Women’s Health/Peds
Position: Immunization Coordinator
Employee Category: Non-Exempt
Reporting Relationship: Practice Administrator
Character Core Qualities:
- Attentiveness- Showing the worth of a person or task by giving my undivided concentration.
- Cautiousness- Knowing the importance of right timing in accomplishing right actions.
- Compassion- Investing whatever is necessary in healing the hurts of others.
- Dependability- Fulfilling what I consented to do, even if it means unexpected sacrifice.
- Initiative- Recognizing and doing what needs to be done before I am asked to do it.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direction of the Practice Administer, the Immunization Coordinator monitors the health center’s immunization inventory, orders immunizations, administers vaccines to patients and completes data entry. The Immunization Coordinator assists with patient examinations, pre-visit questions, treatments and procedures as directed by the Provider, while maintaining an efficient flow of patients through the clinic.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Greets and welcomes patients. Escorts patient to the appropriate location for pre-examination information gathering.
- Accurately measures and records patient specific information: height, weight, respiration, pulse, blood pressure, temperature, pulse oximetry (Sp02) and head circumference as appropriate. Accurately records all measurements and information gathered in patient’s EMR.
- Administers medications and injections under provider’s directions and documents in EMR.
- Administers immunizations under Provider’s direction, including providing Vaccine Information Statement (VIS) and follow-up. Updates vaccine information in Oklahoma State Immunization Information System (OSIIS) and patient’s EMR accurately.
- Orders, receives, and organizes vaccines from the Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH).
- Maintains an electronic record on the stock of vaccines and records each immunization given.
- Prepares a monthly report of immunization data for the Practice Administrator. Compiles a report for the OSDH.
- Verifies immunizations needed according to Oklahoma State Immunization Information System (OSIIS), including providing Vaccine Information Statements (VIS), the patient’s shot record, and the provider.
- Monitors and orders immunizations for OSDH.
- Keeps work area clean and orderly. Exhibits a professional manner in dress and work habits.
- Coordinates at least one immunization event annually as specified in the OSDH contract.
- Performing weekly temperature logs and ensures temperatures are within acceptable ranges.
- Provides back-up coverage as a Medical Assistant when directed by Practice Administrator as needed.
- Reviews assigned Telephone Encounters within the EMR in a timely manner. Seeks assistance from the Medical Assistant Float or Master Float when necessary.
- Prepares and restocks supplies in each examination room(s) daily and swiftly prepares rooms for subsequent patients.
- Assists Providers in physical exams and procedures as directed.
- Proactively addresses the needs of patients and families in the health center.
- Considers cultural sensitivity and utilizes effective communication skills.
- Disposes of contaminated items in accordance to Variety Care policy.
- Follows “Universal Precautions” for safety regulations; uses appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as task on hand requires.
- Follows the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) guidelines and VARIETY CARE policies and procedures as they relate to privacy and confidentiality.
- Complies with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) recommendations for the workplace.
- Assists with medical emergencies as directed by Provider.
- Supports plan of care and patient education in line with provider’s recommendations.
- Supports Variety Care’s accreditation as a Patient Centered Medical Home and our commitment to provide care to all Variety patients that is Safe, Effective, Patient Centered, Timely, Efficient, and Equitable. Provides leadership and work with all staff to achieve the goals of the “Triple Aim” of healthcare reform—to improve the experience of care, improve health outcomes, and decrease healthcare costs
- Embodies the strength of personal character. Places value on being an open and honest communicator who displays high moral and ethical conduct, integrity, adaptability, and sound judgment. Result-oriented problem solver who is responsible and accountable.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Requirements, Special Skills or Knowledge:
- High school graduate or GED.
- Medical Assistant Certificate or LPN License preferred. Previous experience in a medical assistant role may be considered in lieu of a certificate/license.
- Must be able to perform MA duties and requirements as assigned.
- Demonstrates ability to obtain and record accurate information.
- Ability to use or willing to learn electronic medical records software.
- Possesses intermediate computer skills including data entry and typing.
- Experience related to immunizations preferred.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information private and in accordance with HIPAA and Variety Care Policy.
- Bilingual (English & Spanish) required.
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Able to concentrate and prioritize work.