Department: Medical/Women’s Health/Peds
Position: Medical Assistant - Float
Employee Category: Non-Exempt
Reporting Relationship: Practice Administrator
Alertness— Being aware of what is taking place around me so I can have the right responses.
Dependability— Fulfilling what I consented to do, even if it means unexpected sacrifice.
Flexibility—Willingness to change plans or ideas without getting upset.
Initiative—Recognizing and doing what needs to be done before I am asked to do it.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
The Medical Assistant (MA) Float serves to assist and/or provide back-up support to unassigned Provider(s) and the support staff of the assigned clinic/pod on a daily basis. The MA Float is able to function independently the in all areas of the pod as necessary, assisting the other MAs with daily activities and to maintain an efficient workflow within the pod. The MA Float may also assist with patient examinations, pre-visit questions, treatments and procedures as directed by the Provider or Practice Administrator.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Greets and welcomes patients. Escorts patient to the appropriate location for pre-examination information gathering.
- Inquires about any self-referrals, recent ER visits or hospitalizations and requests reports from appropriate sources, documenting in the electronic medical record (EMR).
- Accurately obtains patient history, patient’s stated chief complaint, vital signs, height and weight, Respirations, pulse, blood pressure, pulse oximetry (SP02), allergies, active medication list, pain score and head circumference as appropriate and documents in the EMR.
- Accurately reconciles all of patient’s current medications, including vitamins, supplements, over the counter medications, PRNs, inhalers, etc. to create an accurate list in the EMR and for the patient.
- Administers medications and injections under provider’s direction; documents in EMR.
- Administers immunizations under Provider’s direction, including providing Vaccine Information Statement (VIS) and follow-up. Updates vaccine information in Oklahoma State Immunization Information System (OSIIS) and patient’s EMR accurately.
- Reviews and completes Telephone Encounters (TE) within the EMR. Responsible for reviewing and ensuring the pod staff’s TEs are addressed appropriately and in a timely manner. Additionally is responsible for addressing TEs that are assigned to absent staff member within their pod are completed in a timely manner.
- Prepares and restocks supplies in each examination room(s) daily and swiftly prepares rooms for subsequent patients.
- Assists Providers with physical exams and procedures as directed.
- Demonstrates Medical Assistant competency in all areas of the clinic. A Medical Assistant Competency checklist must be completed within the introductory period of employment/position and approved by the Practice Administrator, supervising Provider, and Director of Clinical Services.
- Initiates and monitors staffing schedule frequently to ensure adequate coverage is being provided.
- Attends the Clinical Quality Information (CQI) meetings, generates quality management reports, evaluates trends and coaches staff appropriately as directed.
- Disposes of contaminated items according to Variety Care policy.
- Follows “Universal Precautions” for safety regulations; uses appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as task on hand requires.
- Answers simple patient questions over the telephone and documents in the EMR.
- Document incidents, addresses standing orders, updates medications lists, submits inventory orders, and leads team huddles on a consistent basis.
- Follows the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) guidelines and VARIETY CARE policies and procedures as they relate to privacy and confidentiality.
- Complies with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) recommendations for the workplace.
- Coordinates with referral clerks to arrange referrals outside of Variety Care, as requested by the provider. Advises patient accordingly and answers simple questions regarding the referral.
- Communicates with community organizations, health plans, facilities and specialists to obtain test and referral results promptly. Promptly conveys any high priority test results to provider.
- Assists with medical emergencies as needed and as directed by provider.
- Supports the plan of care and patient education in line with provider’s recommendations.
- Attends training programs to improve patient care and keep abreast of evidence based approaches to care.
- Trains, coaches and assists peers to comply with all policies and perform all procedures. Also demonstrates excellent team and customer service skills.
- Proactively addresses the needs of patients and families in the clinic. Serves as back-up in any area of clinic when short-staffed or when patient visits are high.
- Sensitive to various cultures and their differences, and utilizes effective communication skills with patients, families and staff.
- Occasionally travels to other Variety Care health centers and provides back-up coverage as directed by Practice Administrator when necessary. Mileage is reimbursed as per policy.
- Supports Variety Care’s accreditation as a Patient Centered Medical Home and our commitment to provide care to all Variety Care patients that is Safe, Effective, Patient Centered, Timely, Efficient, and Equitable. Provides leadership and works with all staff to achieve the goals of the “Triple Aim” of healthcare reform—to improve the experience of care, improve health outcomes, and decrease healthcare costs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Requirements, Special Skills or Knowledge:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Medical Assistant Certificate or LPN License preferred. Previous experience in a medical assistant role may be considered in lieu of a certificate/license.
- Demonstrates ability to obtain and record accurate information.
- Ability to use or willing to learn electronic medical records software.
- Possesses intermediate computer skills including data entry and typing.
- Demonstrates, to the satisfaction of the licensed Provider, an ability to perform tasks, administer medications and injections, has knowledge of instrumentation used in lab point of care testing, as directed.
- Able to effectively communicate with the patient population.
- Able to maintain confidentiality of information private and in accordance with HIPAA and Variety Care Policy.
- Able to work in a multi-faceted, fast paced work environment.
- Bilingual (English & Spanish) required.
- Previous clinic or primary practice experience preferred.
- Able to lift at least 25 pounds
- Able to assist patients on to and off of exam table when asked or directed.