Behavioral Health Therapist
Availability- Making my schedule and priorities secondary to the wishes of those I serve.
Discretion- Recognizing and avoiding words, actions, and attitudes that could bring undesirable consequences.
Flexibility- Willingness to change plans or ideas without getting upset.
Responsibility- Knowing and doing what is expected of me.
*(licensed or eligible for licensure within 6 months of hire welcome!)
The Behavioral Health Therapist, as part of the primary care treatment team, identifies triages and manages patients with medical and behavioral health problems within the primary care setting. In addition, the Behavioral Health Therapist will provide skill training through psycho-education and patient education strategies and will develop specific behavioral change plans for patients and behavioral health protocols for target populations.
Assist primary health care providers in recognizing and treating mental disorders and psychosocial problems.
- Assess the clinical status of patients referred by primary care providers through brief consultative contacts.
- Work with primary care team to treat and manage patients with chronic emotional and/or health problems efficiently and effectively.
- Work with primary care provider to refer cases to mental health treatment as appropriate.
- Assist in the detection of at-risk patients and development of plans to prevent further psychological or physical deterioration.
- Assist in preventing relapse or morbidity in conditions that tend to recur over time.
- Evaluate patient care plans with primary care team.
- Teach patients, families and staff about care, prevention and treatment enhancement techniques.
- Monitor the site’s behavioral health program, identifying problems related to patient services and making recommendations for improvement.
- Complete are required documentation in electronic medical record according to deadlines/guidelines set forth by payers and Director of Behavioral Health.
- Attend and participate in meetings and quality improvement activities as required.
- Serve as a member of committees as requested.
- Participate in evaluation of peers and support staff.
- Further the mission of company through active support of the strategic goals.
- Support Variety Care’s accreditation as a Patient Centered Medical Home and our commitment to provide care to all Variety patients that is Safe, Effective, Patient Centered, Timely, Efficient, and Equitable. Provide leadership and work with all staff to achieve the goals of the “Triple Aim” of healthcare reform—to improve the experience of care, improve health outcomes, and decrease healthcare costs.
- Embodies the strength of personal character. Places value on being an open and honest communicators who displays high moral and ethical conduct, integrity, adaptability, and sound judgment. Must be a leader in the department and community. Result-oriented problem solver who is responsible and accountable.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Skills and Requirements:
- Excellent working knowledge of behavioral health and evidence-based treatments for mental health conditions.
- Ability to make quick and accurate clinical assessments of mental and behavioral conditions.
- High level of comfort in working with primary care medical providers using a consultative style.
- Ability to work through brief patient contacts, including via telephone and teleconferencing.
- Knowledge of psychopharmacology a plus.
- Ability to work effectively as a team, interfacing with patients, primary care providers, consulting psychiatrist and mental health specialists, as well as with administrative and support staff.
- Ability to exercise balanced judgment in evaluating situations and making decisions, and to handle difficult or confrontational situations in a calm, consistent and equitable manner
- Ability to effectively represent company’s interests in the community and maintain effective working relationships among coworkers, public, private and professional groups.
- Experience working with limited resource population.
- Ability to work with grace under pressure.
- Ability to work in a team and to share responsibilities and duties.
- Ability to resolve interpersonal conflict in a straightforward and timely manner.
- Ability to set priorities, be organized and be a self-starter.
- Ability to be friendly, empathic and an adept communicator.
- Ability to treat both staff and patients with respect.
- Bi-lingual (Spanish-English) a required.
- Master’s degree in Social Work or related field.
- Current state licensure as a LCSW, LPC, LMFT or up to 6 months of supervision.
- High clinical competence, positive working attitude, and an ability to work as a team with other professionals and have the ability to carry out responsibilities with minimal supervision.
- A commitment to continuous quality improvement.
- Flexibility – ability to adapt to changing environment.
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
- Must have excellent concentration ability.