Variant Bio is a Seattle-based biotech company entering a rapid growth stage having closed a $105mm Series B financing in the fourth quarter of 2021. The company was started because we believe that human genetics has the power to transform drug development. We are working towards developing therapies to improve global health by studying the genes of people who are outliers for medically relevant traits. To facilitate this, we have built proprietary genomics and phenotyping platforms that allow us to dramatically reduce the cost of genomic studies and identify genetically-validated targets for therapeutic development.
Our team of geneticists, medical researchers, biologists and drug hunters continue to advance multiple projects through internal target validation and lead optimization efforts in relentless pursuit of translating human genetic insights into life-saving therapies.
All of our studies are co-designed with local partners: community groups, academics, and hospitals around the world, and we built Variant Bio from the ground up with ethics at its foundation. We recognize the contribution of our partners through an industry leading benefit-sharing program that dedicates 4% of our revenue and equity value to support local healthcare, sustainable development, education, research, and capacity-building initiatives. Through the Affordable Medicines Pledge we acknowledge that the communities who contributed data that led to the discovery of these new drugs have an equal and reciprocal right to share in the benefits, both financial and social.
Variant Bio is an equal opportunity employer that guarantees a work environment that respects and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
The ideal Director of Health Data holds a Ph.D. and is passionate about the potential for genetic research to improve the lives of people around the world. We are looking for a formally trained epidemiologist with knowledge spanning human disease areas who is not intimidated by incorporating new research methods or learning new approaches. The candidate will assist with the design, analysis, and interpretation of human genetic studies to identify novel therapeutic targets. Specific responsibilities will include leading the Health Data Team, connecting with stakeholders across the company to design studies with maximum impact, maintaining and developing a cutting-edge phenotyping platform, and performing epidemiological analyses.
This is a full-time position. Title will be commensurate with experience level.
- Lead Variant Bio’s Health Data team, including managing team members, aligning goals with company priorities, defining processes and metrics, and facilitating cross-team projects with the Partnerships and R&D teams.
- Design genomic studies with maximum impact for therapeutic target identification requiring epidemiologic approaches and statistical considerations.
- Oversee the continued development of Variant Bio’s phenotyping and questionnaire platform including support of study collection training activities, data ingestion and quality control of data post study execution and database structuring and curation.
- Collaborate with internal and external study partners, including scientists and clinicians, to perform epidemiological analysis of study data for use in conferences, publications, and for community results return.
- Work closely with the Partnerships team and Variant Bio’s ethicists to ensure ethical project design and proper community consultation.
- PhD required with 8+ years of relevant industry experience in epidemiology, biostatistics, human genetics, and study design required.
- Experience designing genetic and clinical research studies involving human subjects for the purposes of drug discovery.
- Proven track record establishing international scientific collaborations preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team.
- Independent, creative, detail-oriented, and a critical thinker.
- Compelled by the company’s mission of great science, a strong ethical stance, and benefit sharing.
What We Offer
- Opportunity to be part of a startup entering a rapid growth phase grounded in ethics.
- Competitive salary and equity packages as well as a 401(k) plan that includes an automatic 3% employer contribution.
- Comprehensive benefits including medical, dental and vision with 100% of monthly employee premiums paid for by the company.
- Flexible paid time off to help employees obtain a healthy work-life balance.
- Company paid professional development opportunities to encourage career progression.
- Orca Card provided by the company for work related transportation.
- Centrally located Eastlake, Seattle location in a new Alexandria building with modern facilities, including a gym.
Anticipated annual base salary for this position is $180,000 - $200,000 plus up to 20% bonus and an options package, for total compensation of up to $216,000 - $240,000, plus equity options.
The annual salary range above is based on the responsibilities and qualifications listed above. Individual salary will depend on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Don't meet every single requirement but are excited to join the Variant Bio team? If your past experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may still be the right candidate for this or other roles.