Variant Bio is a Seattle-based biotech company entering a rapid growth stage having closed a $105mm Series B financing in the fourth quarter of 2021. The company was started because we believe that human genetics has the power to transform drug development. We are working towards developing therapies to improve global health by studying the genes of people who are outliers for medically relevant traits. To facilitate this, we have built proprietary genomics and phenotyping platforms that allow us to dramatically reduce the cost of genomic studies and identify genetically-validated targets for therapeutic development.
Our team of geneticists, medical researchers, biologists and drug hunters continue to advance multiple projects through internal target validation and lead optimization efforts in relentless pursuit of translating human genetic insights into life-saving therapies.
All of our studies are co-designed with local partners: community groups, academics, and hospitals around the world, and we built Variant Bio from the ground up with ethics at its foundation. We recognize the contribution of our partners through an industry leading benefit-sharing program that dedicates 4% of our revenue and equity value to support local healthcare, sustainable development, education, research, and capacity-building initiatives. Through the Affordable Medicines Pledge we acknowledge that the communities who contributed data that led to the discovery of these new drugs have an equal and reciprocal right to share in the benefits, both financial and social.
Variant Bio is an equal opportunity employer that guarantees a work environment that respects and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We are looking for a business development leader to significantly expand the scope and scale of our collaborations to advance our drug discovery programs. The ideal candidate is a creative thinker with experience sourcing opportunities with biotech and pharma partners and leading negotiations of complex legal agreements. It is critical that the candidate has a scientific background and is able to collaboratively work with a team of scientists, has alignment with our ethical principles, and is an extremely strong communicator. Experience with in-licensing and out-licensing of drug discovery programs is critical. Experience with genomic studies is a benefit, but not required.
This role will report directly to the CEO and work closely with the company’s leadership team and Board of Directors on setting business strategy and sourcing and executing business development activities.
- Through our global genomic research, we have developed a differentiated therapeutics pipeline and unique knowledge of genetically-validated targets. The successful candidate will have the ability to lead the development of an in-licensing and out-licensing strategy to maximize value creation.
- Source and lead negotiation, execution, and portfolio management of collaboration agreements with biotech, pharma and other partners.
- Articulate and communicate Variant Bio’s business and technical vision to the genomic and biotech communities.
- Effectively build relationships and collaborate with academic researchers, hospitals, biobanks, diagnostic companies, pharma, biotech companies and others.
- Gather input from the scientific team to align on scientific hypotheses and design of genotyping and phenotyping campaigns with partners.
- Evaluate and complete due diligence on potential partnerships.
- Significant business travel will be required.
- An accomplished biotech business development executive - the most important qualification is a clear track record of sourcing, negotiating and executing revenue generating partnerships with biotech and pharma companies.
- Strong relationships with potential pharma and biotech partners - as sourcing potential partnerships is a critical part of the job description, the successful candidate should bring a large number of existing relationships with potential pharma and biotech partners.
- Strategic thinker - the successful candidate must have the ability to develop a long-term strategy for Variant Bio’s business development efforts. Our goal is not to simply execute transactions in the short term, but to develop a strategy that will increase Variant’s ability to raise financing in the medium term and maximize financial value in the long term.
- Sense of urgency - we want a leader who understands the importance of continually pushing to accelerate work while maintaining the highest standards.
- Communication skills - we are looking for someone who can communicate effectively in interactions across the Genomic Discovery, Partnerships and R&D teams. We also need someone who can promote Variant’s values, business and technical vision to the genomic and biotech communities.
- Genetics expertise - understands genomic drug discovery to the point that they can discuss Variant’s strategy and platform with potential partners. A scientific background and PhD is an advantage, but not required.
- Ability to work across multiple therapeutic areas - our approach/platform applies to multiple therapeutic areas, so we need an agile mind that can quickly get up to speed on a variety of therapeutic areas.
- Rigor - the candidate must have the highest standards and the ability to conduct rigorous due diligence on potential partners.
- Highest ethical standards and integrity - the successful candidate must have the highest integrity and ethical standards in all aspects of their work.
What We Offer
- Opportunity to be part of a startup entering a rapid growth phase grounded in ethics.
- Competitive salary and equity packages as well as a 401(k) plan that includes an automatic 3% employer contribution.
- Comprehensive benefits including medical, dental and vision with 100% of monthly employee premiums paid for by the company.
- Flexible paid time off to help employees obtain a healthy work-life balance.
- Company paid professional development opportunities to encourage career progression.
- Orca Card provided by the company for work related transportation.
- Centrally located Eastlake, Seattle location in a new Alexandria building with modern facilities, including a gym.
Anticipated annual base salary for this position is $250,000 - $400,000 plus up to 25% bonus and an options package, for total compensation of up to $312,500 - $500,000, plus equity options.
The annual salary range above is based on the responsibilities and qualifications listed above. Individual salary will depend on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Don't meet every single requirement but are excited to join the Variant Bio team? If your past experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may still be the right candidate for this or other roles.