Variant Bio is a Seattle-based biotech company entering a rapid growth stage having closed a $105mm Series B financing in the fourth quarter of 2021. The company was started because we believe that human genetics has the power to transform drug development. We are working towards developing therapies to improve global health by studying the genes of people who are outliers for medically relevant traits. To facilitate this, we have built proprietary genomics and phenotyping platforms that allow us to dramatically reduce the cost of genomic studies and identify genetically-validated targets for therapeutic development.
Our team of geneticists, medical researchers, biologists and drug hunters continue to advance multiple projects through internal target validation and lead optimization efforts in relentless pursuit of translating human genetic insights into life-saving therapies.
All of our studies are co-designed with local partners: community groups, academics, and hospitals around the world, and we built Variant Bio from the ground up with ethics at its foundation. We recognize the contribution of our partners through an industry leading benefit-sharing program that dedicates 4% of our revenue and equity value to support local healthcare, sustainable development, education, research, and capacity-building initiatives. Through the Affordable Medicines Pledge we acknowledge that the communities who contributed data that led to the discovery of these new drugs have an equal and reciprocal right to share in the benefits, both financial and social.
Variant Bio is an equal opportunity employer that guarantees a work environment that respects and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We seek a collaborative lab-based Senior Scientist with experience translating genomic discoveries from genome-wide association studies into novel therapeutic targets. The ideal candidate will not only have experience employing a range of cell and molecular biology techniques to uncover novel biology and characterize disease-related genes, but also have experience working alongside geneticists and computational biologists to drive toward a common goal. Since we are an actively growing start-up, we also seek creative thinkers, agile learners and candidates excited to help build the company and mature a human-genetics-backed therapeutic pipeline.
- Lead therapeutic programs from inception through to the clinic, with a focus on early-stage target prioritization and experimental validation.
- Establish and employ experimental methods to link disease-causing genetic variants to their relevant genes, cell types, molecular pathways and disease phenotypes.
- Become a disease and biology subject matter expert in a variety of areas, ready to tackle new genetic findings in diverse areas.
- Work together with internal computational geneticists to advance genetic findings.
- Establish and manage relationships with CROs to support target validation programs.
- Contribute to deep dives into relevant disease areas and GWAS-identified targets to support a competitive R&D pipeline.
- Keep current on scientific literature and attend relevant scientific meetings in order to apply new technologies and scientific principles.
- Recommend and develop new or additional biology capabilities as needed.
- Effectively communicate scientific results to internal and external audiences.
- A Ph.D. in biology or related fields with 5+ years of relevant experience, ideally in industry. Title and level will be adjusted commensurate with prior experience.
- A desire to be at the bench employing cutting-edge techniques, with the ability to manage direct reports as our team grows.
- Experience using molecular characterization and functional studies to understand the role of a gene in a disease.
- Disease area expertise, ideally in one of Variant Bio’s disease focus areas: immune disease, kidney disease, fibrosis, liver disease.
- Familiarity with publicly available databases and user interfaces for the investigation of genetics, biology and human disease data.
- Familiarity with the process by which therapeutics and/or diagnostics are discovered and developed.
- Exceptional people skills and an ability & willingness to work on a multidisciplinary R&D team.
- Independent, creative, detail-oriented, and a critical thinker.
- Compelled by the company’s mission of great science, a strong ethical stance, and benefit sharing.
What We Offer
- Opportunity to be part of a startup entering a rapid growth phase grounded in ethics.
- Competitive salary and equity packages as well as a 401(k) plan that includes an automatic 3% employer contribution.
- Comprehensive benefits including medical, dental and vision with 100% of monthly employee premiums paid for by the company.
- Flexible paid time off to help employees obtain a healthy work-life balance.
- Company paid professional development opportunities to encourage career progression.
- Orca Card provided by the company for work related transportation.
- Centrally located Eastlake, Seattle location in a new Alexandria building with modern facilities, including a gym.
Anticipated annual base salary for this position is $110,000 - $155,000 plus up to 10% bonus and an options package, for total compensation of up to $121,000 - $170,500, plus equity options.
The annual salary range above is based on the responsibilities and qualifications listed above. Individual salary will depend on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Don't meet every single requirement but are excited to join the Variant Bio team? If your past experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may still be the right candidate for this or other roles.