Variant Bio is a Seattle-based biotech company entering a rapid growth stage having recently closed a $100mm+ Series B. The company was started because we believe that human genetics has the power to transform drug development. We are working towards developing therapies to improve global health by studying the genes of people who are outliers for medically relevant traits. To facilitate this, we have built proprietary genomics and phenotyping platforms that allow us to dramatically reduce the cost of genomic studies and identify genetically-validated targets for therapeutic development.
All of our studies are co-designed with local partners: community groups, academics, and hospitals around the world, and we built Variant Bio from the ground up with ethics at its foundation. We recognize the contribution of our partners through an industry leading benefit-sharing program that dedicates 4% of our revenue and equity value to support local healthcare, sustainable development, education, research, and capacity-building initiatives.
Variant Bio is an equal opportunity employer that guarantees a work environment that respects and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We are looking for a bioinformatician with expertise developing and applying computational methods to study human genomic and transcriptomic data. The ideal candidate should have a strong foundation in method and pipeline development, ideally some hands-on experience with AWS, as well as experience analyzing large-scale, whole-genome, and transcriptome data sets. The candidate will be part of a growing team of computational biologists with expertise spanning bioinformatics, statistical genetics, population genomics, and functional genomics. We encourage candidates who are passionate about increasing the inclusion of underrepresented populations in genomic research to apply, as this is a core mission of Variant Bio.
- Develop and maintain bioinformatics methods and workflows for analysis of large-scale data using AWS cloud compute.
- Process and analyze whole genome sequencing data from diverse populations, including variant calling, imputation, and extensive quality control.
- Process and analyze bulk and single-cell transcriptomic data, including expression quantification, splicing quantification, and differential expression analysis.
- Work with software engineers and cloud architects to automate workflows and build robust infrastructure.
- Keep up-to-date on scientific literature and share relevant advances with the team.
- Disseminate results with the broader scientific community through presentations and publications.
- Ph.D. or masters degree with 3+ years of relevant work experience in bioinformatics, computational biology, statistics, computer science, or a related field.
- Experience processing large-scale WGS data using standard bioinformatics software packages, such as FASTQC, bwa, GATK, samtools, bedtools, bcftools, etc. Experience working with RNA-seq data and relevant software packages is a plus.
- Strong programming skills and experience with high performance computing; proficiency in bash, Python, R; experience programming in Java/C++ preferred.
- Experience with cloud-based computing on AWS; hands-on experience with AWS Batch, ECR, Cloud Formation preferred. Experience with Nextflow on AWS Batch a plus.
- Software development experience using e.g. git and Docker.
- Good working knowledge of public human genomic resources, such as the 1000 Genomes Project, the Human Genome Diversity Project, gnomAD, the UK Biobank and other biobanks.
- Publication record in the field of genomics a plus.
- Independent, creative, detail-orientated, and a critical thinker.
- Compelled by the company’s mission of great science, a strong ethical stance, and benefit sharing.
- Opportunity to be part of an early-stage startup entering a rapid growth phase.
- Competitive, industry leading salary, and comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability and life insurance.
- 401(k) plan that includes an automatic 3% employer contribution.
- Centrally located in Seattle’s Eastlake neighborhood in a new Alexandria building with modern facilities, including a gym.