There are many products that improve the quality of life on Earth that can only be manufactured in space. Our job at Varda is to make those products and bring them back down. We at Varda are proud to expand the economic bounds of humankind.
Here, you’ll have the opportunity to work at the intersection of ambition and experience. Our team has deep experience in aerospace and tech. They have honed their crafts in the trenches of major companies. Your work will be valued and evaluated by proven leaders who have chosen to apply their talents to manufacturing in space.
While our vision is big, the steps to get there are technically reasonable and operationally feasible. Our conops are clear and use cases have been proven out over decades of ISS-based research and development.
Join Varda to help leverage space for business.
About This Role
Varda Space Industries is looking for an Environmental Health and Safety Engineer to support our facilities and labs on Earth and in space. Varda is a fast paced and challenging environment. The environmental health and safety team should be comfortable working on complex chemical and physical systems ranging from chemical propulsion, to pharmaceuticals, to spacecraft development.
This position requires strong overall technical skills, excellent customer service, and great organizational management. The candidate should be a self-starter, self-motivator, and possess ingenuity to work in this novel environment.
Candidates should have experience with regulatory and environmental policies at the local, state and federal level and experience in building safety and environment policies in in a startup environment. The person in this position should have strong overall technical skills, excellent customer service skills, and superior organizational and prioritization management skills. The candidate should be a self-starter, self-motivator and possess ingenuity to excel at this position.
Candidates should have experience in building high-quality systems in support of business operations, development of the spacecraft, and administering complex environments.
- Ensure compliance with all local, state, and federal regulatory standards including Cal/OSHA, OSHA SBAQMD, Cal/EPA, EPA, etc. (including maintaining records as needed)
- Conduct internal due diligence audits when needed and work closely with leadership to implement any corrective actions to implement health and safety procedures
- Review material safety data and provide technical expertise, while ensuring sheets are maintained and readily accessible
- Help develop testing systems for spacecraft components including chemicals thrusters, valves, and low voltage electrical systems
- Keep up to date with new regulations and policies, and updating internal processes and procedures for compliance
- Develop safety hardware and procedures for pharmaceutical handling and processing
- Evaluate, assess, and develop health and safety procedures and training for all areas of the company
- Lead EH&S issue resolution & assist with non-routine troubleshooting of processes and equipment
- Oversee hazardous waste storage and disposal
- Contribute to ongoing maintenance and inspection of safety systems (eyewashes, chemical showers, fire suppressions systems)
- Develops and implements inspection policies and procedures, and a schedule of routine inspections to identify safety, health, and environmental risks across facility
- Able to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced work environment
- Responsible for hazardous and non-hazardous waste management including DOT and RCRA regulations
- Expertise in understanding chemical hazards
- Extensive knowledge of environmental regulations and policies (Knowledge of OSHA and EPA standards)
- Ability to make decisions and recommendations about complex EH&S situations and topics when the solution is not clear
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Atlassian suites
- Proficient in technology and equipment used in environmental inspections.
- Physically able to conduct inspections and carry equipment used for inspections.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds at a time.
- 5+ years of relevant experience in a laboratory or manufacturing environment
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Physical Sciences, Environmental Safety, Occupational Safety and Health, or related field required
Preferred Skills And Experience
- Knowledge of basic laboratory and pharmaceutical operations and equipment
- Bachelor's degree in engineering with an emphasis in occupational heath and safety and/or environmental engineering
- Experience in developing EH&S systems and policies from the ground up in a startup environment
- Experience in federal, state, and local safety and environmental regulations
- Must be physically able to regularly lift 25 lbs. for duties such as delivering computers, unpacking and rack-mounting equipment, etc.
- Salary range: $110,000 - $130,000
- This role is on-site in El Segundo, CA
- Leveling and base salary is determined by job-related skills, education level, experience level, and job performance
- You will be eligible for long-term incentives in the form of stock options and/or long-term cash awards
- Offer compensation also includes the ability to purchase company stock through the Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
- Exciting team of professionals at the top of their field to working by your side
- Working in El Segundo, CA - an awesome Southern California beach city with quick access to entertainment and outdoor activities
- Equity in a fully funded space startup with potential for significant growth
- 401(k) matching
- Unlimited PTO
- Health insurance, including Vision and Dental
- Lunch and snacks provided on site every day. Dinners provided twice a week.
- Maternity / Paternity leave
Varda Space Industries is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Candidates and employees are always evaluated based on merit, qualifications, and performance. We will never discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, martial status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.