There are many products that improve the quality of life on Earth that can only be manufactured in space. Our job at Varda is to make those products and bring them back down. We at Varda are proud to expand the economic bounds of humankind.
Here, you’ll have the opportunity to work at the intersection of ambition and experience. Our team has deep experience in aerospace and tech. They have honed their crafts in the trenches of major companies. Your work will be valued and evaluated by proven leaders who have chosen to apply their talents to manufacturing in space.
While our vision is big, the steps to get there are technically reasonable and operationally feasible. Our conops are clear and use cases have been proven out over decades of ISS-based research and development.
Join Varda to help leverage space for business.
About This Role
Varda is forging a new path in the space economy and needs an experienced product engineer, with deep knowledge of optics, manufacturing, and product development in the optics industry.
As one of the early members of the team your work will shape product development throughout Varda, and define the space economy for years to come
The ideal candidate is an industry veteran with deep knowledge of both the technical and customer management aspects of lasers, telecom, and broader commercial optics applications. Prior experience in customer management and manufacturing is highly desirable. This is an opportunity in an exciting area of growth for Varda, the role will shape Varda’s product culture, and will play a significant role in establishing the low earth orbit economy.
- Drive internal engineering and external vendors to support optical products
- Customer-facing; expected to deliver technical presentations and interface with customers to capture and address requirement gaps
- Hands-on product and process testing to resolve technical challenges and ultimately push the boundaries of product performance, creating a differentiated microgravity product
- Execute material and failure analysis testing to characterize, trouble-shoot, and ultimately resolve defectivity, nonconformance, and out of tolerance challenges spanning from raw materials to product design challenges
- Define product and hardware requirements, document supplier requirements, as well as internal and external manufacturing procedures
- Demonstrated customer management and presentation skills
- Track record of driving product or process development lifecycle in the optics industry, including some degree of program management skills
- Strong analytical skills, with demonstrated application of statistical analysis methodologies, expertise in statistical process control (SPC), Design of Experiments (DoE), failure mode effect analysis (FMEA), and structured problem-solving methodologies
- BS/MS degree in science or engineering with 3-10 years of industry experience preferably in the optics or semiconductor industry
Preferred Skills And Experience
- Product lead and/or a technical owner in an entrepreneurial environment, especially at a startup
- Recognized leader in glasses or fiber lasers, with broad knowledge and established industry relationships in optics or end-use applications
- Ability to model process, analytically, through computational methods, or through other means
- PhD in Materials Science, Physics, Electrical Engineering, or related fields
End of first three months
- Identify and resolve gaps in test methodologies, including lab build-out as needed. The top two low hanging fruit objectives achievable within three months are setting up an optical characterization setup, and a mechanical testing bench to characterize product mechanical properties
- Flesh out performance – defect model to estimate optical performance at operating wavelengths. Together with this model there should be scoping out of the experiments to verify and update the model
- Define product requirements, summarizing input and feedback from customer calls
- Product design and manufacturing optimization, to ensure product meets customer requirements
End of first six months
- Baseline Varda’s product performance (optical, mechanical) in comparison to the industry state of the art. This includes gauge studies or other required activities to validate test methodologies, as well as using external testing facilities
- Drive collection of key materials characterization, especially for parameters that impact product performance, tie into the microgravity value proposition, or inform manufacturing
- Establish product inspection methodologies, including incoming product acceptance criteria, and outgoing product acceptance criteria
- Drive improvement in product performance
- Define product packaging and handling requirements
End of first year
- A great candidate will have eliminated raw material impurities and contamination challenges facing Varda suppliers. The expectation for a candidate is that they identified what the impurities are, where they are introduced into the manufacturing pipeline (including at supplier sites), and potential partners and processes to correct these impurities.
- Product meets all specifications that can be achieved without microgravity (dimensional tolerances, optical performance, mechanical properties, environmental stability)
- Initial product packaging concept is defined, ideally with initial prototype runs at vendors
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
Varda Space Industries is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Candidates and employees are always evaluated based on merit, qualifications, and performance. We will never discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, martial status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.