Salary: $150,000-215,000 per year
About Vanna Health
Vanna is reimagining healthcare for people living with serious mental illness (SMI).
Today, our healthcare system is failing people with SMI. Despite $200B in annual medical spending, people with SMI die 20 years younger than their peers while suffering from higher rates of preventable disease (2x). They also face a higher risk of disfranchisement from society, including homelessness (6x), unemployment (30x), and incarceration (25x).
Our mission is to empower people with SMI to thrive by finding purpose and a sense of belonging in the community. The solution is social, not just medical. Vanna provides psychosocial rehabilitation and enables community-based care at scale, in close collaboration with existing healthcare and community organizations. Our model is designed to restore hope and nurture engagement by investing in a foundation of mutual trust and respect.
Vanna brings together an unprecedented team of proven entrepreneurs, individuals with lived experience, and national leaders in behavioral health. We are committed to providing individuals with culturally inclusive support for all races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, and other social factors. With modern technology, extensive professional development opportunities, and a culture that actively promotes and fosters diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging, we are redefining what it means to work in community health.
About the Role
We’re looking to hire a highly motivated back-end engineer that enjoys working on a cross-functional team, and is excited to jump into an early stage company with tremendous growth ahead.
Vanna is building a member relationship management (MRM) system to support our Vanna Coaches in establishing trusting, lasting relationships with members. Our Coaches are the heart of our community-based model; they are responsible for working with our members to develop personalized, innovative recovery programs that address their clinical, social determinants of health (SDoH), and community building needs.
Your role will be a key part of the team building our MRM system, known as the Vanna Console, which enables Vanna Coaches to provide compassionate care to our members. The Vanna Console is a mobile first web application that our staff uses for all aspects of member management: outreach, program enrollment, clinical and SDoH assessments, and more. As a back-end engineer, you’ll be responsible for designing and implementing the services, APIs, and database objects to support the Console. You’ll work on a cross-functional team with a designer, product manager, and other back/front/full-stack engineers.
- Build great technology: Design and implement solutions that support our Vanna Coaches and members
- Collaborate well with your colleagues – you’re working together to build world-class products for individuals with SMI and the Vanna Coaches that support them
- Write automated tests that ensure our systems work as designed
- Provide feedback to your team and managers during the development process
- Keep up with emerging technologies, and recommend their fit in our evolving stack
- Consider security, maintenance, scalability, and the appropriate trade-offs
- Participate actively in code reviews and other processes that benefit the team
- Mentor and coach junior developers
- 5+ years of professional experience using Python and/or NodeJS
- Experience with Python FastAPI/SQLAlchemy a plus
- Experience with Domain Driven Development a plus
- Self-starter who is ready for the fast and sometimes nebulous nature of an early stage startup
- Experience building containers with Docker
- Experience designing services and APIs used by front-end applications
- Strong ability to design and implement in a modular, scalable way
- Demonstrated knowledge of modern software development methodologies
- Demonstrated ability to learn new languages, tools, frameworks, and other technologies quickly
- A true team player with proven ability to collaborate effectively with stakeholders, other engineers, product managers, and product designers.
- Demonstrated ability to break down complex problems into iterative steps
- A desire to participate in the product ideation and design process
- Excellent prioritization skills, and comfort making quick decisions around trade-offs
- Experience in digital and/or mental health products and/or tech-enabled services a plus
- Experience building and maintaining CI/CD pipelines, AWS infrastructure a strong plus
Our Promise to You
- You will have a critical seat at the table - one that represents our staff and the members we serve
- You will be valued, respected, and heard - diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging is paramount
- You will be joining a team and community that is passionate about improving the lives of underserved individuals
- We currently offer unlimited PTO (and people actually take it!), full health, dental, and vision benefits.
- Flexibility to work remotely
- Competitive compensation including salary and significant ownership in Vanna Health
COVID-19 Considerations and Vaccination Status
Vanna Health is committed to keeping our team members and our members safe from COVID-19 therefore full vaccination is required for all Vanna Health employees. As such we follow local requirements and guidelines for medical professionals in the field.